News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'Juno' actress Ellen Page comes out as gay

Started by garbon, February 15, 2014, 09:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 04:05:04 PM
I find it strange they do not say 'current' player there since a few former players have come out. 

He can't be the first current player as he isn't a player yet. Nothing current about it. I think they are saying "player" as in one who will actually be playing and not a former or ex-player.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2014, 04:15:07 PM
He can't be the first current player as he isn't a player yet. Nothing current about it. I think they are saying "player" as in one who will actually be playing and not a former or ex-player.

Right.  I just think it is weird they are not being clear about that.  They just have to add one word.  Also we will see Sam has not made a team just yet, hence why it was courageous of him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 04:19:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2014, 04:15:07 PM

Right.  I just think it is weird they are not being clear about that.  They just have to add one word.  Also we will see Sam has not made a team just yet, hence why it was courageous of him.
That article says "could become" that seems pretty clear that he isn't a player yet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Yeah, I think, Valmy, that the sentence is pretty clear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2014, 04:33:11 PM
Yeah, I think, Valmy, that the sentence is pretty clear.

Fair enough.  I just know that after I first heard he was going to be the first openly gay player, I went and checked and saw that a lot of guys had come out after they played and I thought that was misleading.  But maybe that was just me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
That article says "could become" that seems pretty clear that he isn't a player yet.

Yes I never said that part was unclear.

OttoVonBismarck

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

I am just reminded that among Swedes in America, there is no poverty either.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Josquius

I thought she was already out for some reason. Huh. Well. Lovely for her.
The one I'm really waiting to see is Tom Cruise.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Is it actually brave to come out 1)as a woman and 2)in 2014?  Will this affect her career in any fashion?

One day pretty soon, if not today, we're going to be surprised people still "come out."

Anyway, allow me to say, apropos of nothing, Ellen Page is dreamy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2014, 04:07:46 AM
Is it actually brave to come out 1)as a woman and 2)in 2014?  Will this affect her career in any fashion?

One day pretty soon, if not today, we're going to be surprised people still "come out."

Anyway, allow me to say, apropos of nothing, Ellen Page is dreamy.

75% (conservatively) of Hollywood casting is based on appealing to the male's audience sexual desires. Being lesbian sort of cuts on that fantasy.

I remember Anne Heche's carrer crashing after she came out. She was also a nutcase so that may also have played a part, but certainly coming out hurt her career a lot.