And we're back!

Main Menu

'Juno' actress Ellen Page comes out as gay

Started by garbon, February 15, 2014, 09:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on February 16, 2014, 04:33:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2014, 04:07:46 AM
Is it actually brave to come out 1)as a woman and 2)in 2014?  Will this affect her career in any fashion?

One day pretty soon, if not today, we're going to be surprised people still "come out."

Anyway, allow me to say, apropos of nothing, Ellen Page is dreamy.

75% (conservatively) of Hollywood casting is based on appealing to the male's audience sexual desires. Being lesbian sort of cuts on that fantasy.

I remember Anne Heche's carrer crashing after she came out. She was also a nutcase so that may also have played a part, but certainly coming out hurt her career a lot.
That was almost 20 years ago, and she's re-ratted since then.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

I don't get that. Seducing an attractive lesbian (or two) seems like the ultimate male fantasy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on February 16, 2014, 03:59:01 AM
I thought she was already out for some reason. Huh. Well. Lovely for her.
The one I'm really waiting to see is Tom Cruise.

I take it you were one of the dozen or so people who saw her in "Whip It?"  I lulzed so hard that they specifically avoided mentioning that role.  Stereotypes ahoy!
Experience bij!

celedhring

Quote from: Scipio on February 16, 2014, 08:01:32 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 16, 2014, 04:33:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2014, 04:07:46 AM
Is it actually brave to come out 1)as a woman and 2)in 2014?  Will this affect her career in any fashion?

One day pretty soon, if not today, we're going to be surprised people still "come out."

Anyway, allow me to say, apropos of nothing, Ellen Page is dreamy.

75% (conservatively) of Hollywood casting is based on appealing to the male's audience sexual desires. Being lesbian sort of cuts on that fantasy.

I remember Anne Heche's carrer crashing after she came out. She was also a nutcase so that may also have played a part, but certainly coming out hurt her career a lot.
That was almost 20 years ago, and she's re-ratted since then.

Yeah, it was 20 years ago, but we haven't had that many actors/actresses coming out since then. Note that I believe that this is caused more by Hollywood exec's (an immensely risk-adverse bunch) and the very affected actors' fears than necessarily a real negative public response towards a gay actor in lead roles.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 16, 2014, 08:10:52 AM
I don't get that. Seducing an attractive lesbian (or two) seems like the ultimate male fantasy.

I think the "I'll never tap this now*" factor is prevalent.

*Not that you could before, but we're talking fantasies here.

Siege

And the hot chick in The Banner Saga is gay too.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I doubt her career will be affected.  Anne Heche's problem (other than going psycho) was she was playing mostly love interests.  Ellen Paige always plays the spunky tomboy outcast.

Eddie Teach

Anne Heche had other problems, such as turning 30 and the fact that most of her well known roles were in mediocre films.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

And don't forget the other issues she had been dealing with at the time, like not being able to fucking act her way out of a paper bag.

Queequeg

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

Siege

Queequeg