Utah gives homeless people homes, on track to eliminate homelessness by 2015

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2014, 09:31:08 AM
I'm very dubious about elimating homelessness. Surely a not insubstantial number of them choose to be homeless whilst others are too crazy to accept this house, as it is obviously a trap.

That's a very cynical view. Besides part of the insanity is because they have no support/ability to take meds. I also doubt that most homeless people are outside because they think it is better than living indoors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

I'm very dubious about elimating homelessness. Surely a not insubstantial number of them choose to be homeless whilst others are too crazy to accept this house, as it is obviously a trap.
They've already cut down homelessness by 3/4ths, that's a success in my book.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2014, 09:56:44 AM

That's a very cynical view. Besides part of the insanity is because they have no support/ability to take meds. I also doubt that most homeless people are outside because they think it is better than living indoors.

Agree.  Though news reporters can always find the "I love living free!" homeless crowd, they are likely the exception.

And though while they covered mental illness, they kinda skirted around drug/alcohol addiction.  In many cases, that will be a much tougher bear to handle than even mental illness.  What happens when a free house become a crack/meth/whatever house too?

Capetan Mihali

If you pass out drunk/high in the street or a park or a homeless shelter, the cops and paramedics inevitably show up, take you to the ER to be checked out, take you to jail to cite you for trespassing and public intoxication, and wait for it to happen again on Thursday.

If you pass out drunk/high on your living room floor, well... just ask Siege what happens, I guess.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 11, 2014, 10:15:04 AM
Agree.  Though news reporters can always find the "I love living free!" homeless crowd, they are likely the exception.

And though while they covered mental illness, they kinda skirted around drug/alcohol addiction.  In many cases, that will be a much tougher bear to handle than even mental illness.  What happens when a free house become a crack/meth/whatever house too?

I'd assume that's a less-publicized reason for the social worker/case manager- making sure that doesn't happen.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 11, 2014, 10:41:36 AM

If you pass out drunk/high on your living room floor, well... just ask Siege what happens, I guess.

Posting on Languish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive