Utah gives homeless people homes, on track to eliminate homelessness by 2015

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Is Utah sure that it's an ultra conservative state?

First the mayor of Salt Lake City starts performing gay marriages, and next they bend over backwards to help homeless people instead of yelling at them to stop failing and try harder  :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2014, 11:22:10 AM

First the mayor of Salt Lake City starts performing gay marriages, and next they bend over backwards to help homeless people instead of yelling at them to stop failing and try harder  :hmm:

They are ultra-conservative but they are really nice to everybody.  That is how Mormons roll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2014, 11:22:10 AM

They ran the number and it averages 5,000 dollars cheaper to do it this way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Leaving aside the issue of The Young Turk's journalistic credentials, the purported savings come from a comparison of average spending on emergency room visits and jail time for a homeless person ($16,000) versus the cost of an apartment and regular visits from a social worker and a case worker ($11,000). 

Do homeless people stop going to the ER and committing crime once they have an abode?

Tonitrus

Probably less inclined.

But I am also sure some of the individual mental illness cases would contrast rather strikingly that average cost.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2014, 11:09:23 AM
Someone is getting too big for his britches. <_<

No kidding, right?  He doesn't even do it with cunty panache, either.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2014, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2014, 11:09:23 AM
Someone is getting too big for his britches. <_<

No kidding, right?  He doesn't even do it with cunty panache, either.

This shit be all natural and it can't be taught.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 07:16:27 PM
Leaving aside the issue of The Young Turk's journalistic credentials, the purported savings come from a comparison of average spending on emergency room visits and jail time for a homeless person ($16,000) versus the cost of an apartment and regular visits from a social worker and a case worker ($11,000). 

Do homeless people stop going to the ER and committing crime once they have an abode?

I image people suffer less from exposure and disease when they can live in a house.  Don't know about jail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2014, 12:00:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 07:16:27 PM

I image people suffer less from exposure and disease when they can live in a house.  Don't know about jail.
If only Paul Atreidies were here. 

Won't they need to spend a ton on meds for those with bipolar or schizophrenia?  Otherwise they'll just be sticking messed up people into soon to be destroyed houses?
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 11, 2014, 08:34:45 AM

Won't they need to spend a ton on meds for those with bipolar or schizophrenia?  Otherwise they'll just be sticking messed up people into soon to be destroyed houses?

Can't speak for schizophrenia (wanna help out, Raz, since you're fairly close on the spectrum?), but I'm bipolar and my annual treatment cost is $528 a year between office visits and medication, of which I pay $168.  Most of the bipolar disorder medications are generic and heavily subsidized into the "go to Walmart and pick up a 30-day supply for $4" category.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 11, 2014, 08:49:25 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 11, 2014, 08:34:45 AM

Can't speak for schizophrenia (wanna help out, Raz, since you're fairly close on the spectrum?), but I'm bipolar and my annual treatment cost is $528 a year between office visits and medication, of which I pay $168.  Most of the bipolar disorder medications are generic and heavily subsidized into the "go to Walmart and pick up a 30-day supply for $4" category.

Yeah, I get my meds cheap, so I imagine that meds are already covered.  And people are probably more likely to take their meds if they have a place to store them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I'm very dubious about elimating homelessness. Surely a not insubstantial number of them choose to be homeless whilst others are too crazy to accept this house, as it is obviously a trap.
██████
██████
██████