Zoo Kills Young Giraffe, Invites Children to Watch It Be Chopped Up, Fed to Lion

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Camerus on February 10, 2014, 05:06:33 AM
The weirdest thing that wasn't really explained in either piece was the presence of those little kids.  What kind of parent would bring their small child to the zoo so as to watch a giraffe get butchered?

The articles did explain it; the children were invited to attend the autopsy to learn more about giraffe physiology.  Contrary to the hysterical reporting, the final butchering and feedings apparently didn't happen right away, and there was no special invite to watch that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2014, 07:43:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2014, 08:05:13 PM
I'd be more comfortable with this if they just put the Giraffe in the Lion's den and let nature take its course.

It's a freakin' zoo.  Not much chance that "nature" can "take its course" in a zoo.  If, by "let nature take its course," you mean that you would have been more comfortable if the giraffe suffered more before it died, I disagree.
No kidding.  The poor giraffe being torn to shreds by a lion that is inexperienced in hunting is not really cool Tim.  Curb the bloodlust.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

You have to be a seriously disturbed individual to be disturbed by this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I thought letting kids watch was the best part.

After all some of these kids are going to be running gigantic pig factory farms some day.

alfred russel

I'd be more comfortable with this if they just put the Giraffe in the Lion's den and let nature take its course.

Timmay, I don't know how old and strong the giraffe was, but a healthy adult giraffe can hold its own against a lion. Putting a giraffe in a cage with a lion may get the lion hurt or killed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2014, 02:40:45 PM

Timmay, I don't know how old and strong the giraffe was, but a healthy adult giraffe can hold its own against a lion. Putting a giraffe in a cage with a lion may get the lion hurt or killed.

:hmm:

If only the first sentence of the article said how old the giraffe was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

This is just a storm because Giraffes are cute. No one would have raised an eyebrow at a crocodile getting the same treatment.

Animals rights, #firstworldproblems
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2014, 02:54:27 PM
No one would have raised an eyebrow at a crocodile getting the same treatment.

I bet the lion would have, Captain Safari.  :P

Eddie Teach

Dead meat is dead meat. Now if the crocodile was still alive, that'd get interesting...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Then it's genetically fit and should be allowed to live.

Giraffes don't always win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRwK0521y4
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2014, 02:59:24 PM

It wasn't about whether it was "genetically fit" or not.  It was a genetic dead end in a breeding program.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2014, 02:59:24 PM

I don't think you understand what they're trying to accomplish with these breeding programs. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

I'm not really sure a giraffe vs. lion thunderdome is what a zoo should be....doing....

Ideologue

Quote from: Camerus on February 10, 2014, 05:06:33 AM
Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2014, 04:33:25 AM
I don't see how this became a story, it's not like giraffes are endangered or that this one was special in any way other that it was an inbreeding hazard.

It did make me wonder how giraffe meat taste though.

The weirdest thing that wasn't really explained in either piece was the presence of those little kids.  What kind of parent would bring their small child to the zoo so as to watch a giraffe get butchered?

It was mainly students from Lars von Trier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

Garbon is unfortunately correct about the cow thing.  It's an obligate carnivore.  The only alternative is to slaughter the lion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)