Zoo Kills Young Giraffe, Invites Children to Watch It Be Chopped Up, Fed to Lion

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2014, 08:34:46 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 10, 2014, 05:53:47 AMOn the other hand, I don't think that it would have been that difficult to find another zoo willing to take the animal, and their "nah, it was not worth it" answer seems insensitive on the zoo management's part and makes me guess that they didn't really make an effort on that front.
The Guardian said other zoos offered to take the giraffe. This caused a lot of outrage on the British part of the internet. A lot.
Britons have a well-earned reputation about being stupi when it comes to animals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

LaCroix

iirc, this is where american zoos differ from european. american zoos neuter the animals they don't want to breed, while euro zoos allow the animals to raise offspring to prevent behavioral issues.. then destroy the offspring

that's what this refers to
QuoteNumerous American zoos did not immediately respond to requests for interviews. The Association of Zoos and Aquariums declined a request, issuing a short statement from executive director Kris Vehrs stating that EAZA's "programs and procedures vary from those of the AZA."

if one is able to stomach the destruction of animals, the euro way better, imo

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2014, 04:07:23 PM
Actually, on reflection, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the bonobos and chimpanzees and relocate them in one of the cleared districts of Florida.
Without regard for the local ecosystem?

Typical.  I knew your love for animals was weak and without deep thought.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2014, 11:33:18 PM
Actually, on reflection, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the bonobos and chimpanzees and relocate them in one of the cleared districts of Florida.

He's a capitalist at heart; it's all about the Bottom Line.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I was chopped up and fed to a lion once.  Twice actually.  I found the experience entirely disagreeable, but in hindsight it was probably for the best.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Razgovory

Quote from: fhdz on February 10, 2014, 11:50:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2014, 11:49:50 PM
I was chopped up and fed to a lion once.

You're awfully prolific for such a victim.

I have degrees in victimology and victimonomy with minors in gender studies and applied string theory respectively.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2014, 11:54:34 PM
Quote from: fhdz on February 10, 2014, 11:50:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2014, 11:49:50 PM
I was chopped up and fed to a lion once.

You're awfully prolific for such a victim.

I have degrees in victimology and victimonomy with minors in gender studies and applied string theory respectively.

Given your typical posting history, I believe you.

Razgovory

fhdz

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on February 10, 2014, 05:04:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2014, 04:06:22 PM

And for better or worse they're going to stretch the B-52 fleet out till they fall apart.

Our grandchildren's grandchildren will be bombing foreigners with B-52's.

I suddenly feel a great continuity between past and the future, and with the Earth itself.  :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2014, 08:53:01 PM
QuoteThe Copenhagen Zoo said it "euthanized" Marius to avoid inbreeding.

Here's a novel idea:  don't let him fuck.  What, giraffes can't be neutered or something?  Goddamn.

Quoteif we just sterilize him, he will take up space for more genetically valuable giraffes

A noble sentiment, no?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2014, 11:33:18 PM

1)The impact would be almost invisible.  Pan occupies no special place in the ecological framework; for one thing, there are only about 250,000 of them.  It's like arguing the city of Dresden had an important role to play in the ecology of Germany.
2)The members of Pan, as basically sapient animals, are more valuable than any animals or plants who depend upon their existence for sustenance (of which I believe there are none).
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Oh and Ide, victimology is a humanity but victimonomy is a STEM.  I do remember fondly days of rigorously victimizing people in the lab.

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2014, 08:47:27 PM
My only experience with Euro zoos was this place:

http://www.apenheul.com/

Golden lion tamarins running around your shoulders was pretty cool.  :cool:

Yes, that's a fun place. The monkeys aren't allowed to interact with visitors anymore though.
Too bad, it was hilarious to see them steal anything they could get their hands on: phones, glasses, wigs...  :lol:
Somehow I still managed to get bitten by one of them last time I was there.