News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 03:18:50 PM
I was wondering how an independent Quebec would do in the Winter Olympics.  What sports would they be strongest in?  I'm guessing hockey would be one.

Quebec athletes won a crapload of skiing / snowboarding medals.

Hockey, on the other hand... only three members of Team Canada hail from Quebec.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 03:28:31 PM
Hockey, on the other hand... only three members of Team Canada hail from Quebec.

Not saying they'd dominate in hockey; just speculating that it might be one of their stronger sports.  Maybe they'd be the equivalent of a Finland or Sweden?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 03:32:14 PM
it might be one of their stronger sports.

Until they start handing out Olympic medals for erotic trapeze, there's no competition.

Barrister

Not saying they'd dominate in hockey; just speculating that it might be one of their stronger sports.  Maybe they'd be the equivalent of a Finland or Sweden?

Hell, I dare say you could make a Team Manitoba and it'd be equivalent to at least the Czechs or so.

Around the time when Team Canada was selected some journalists put together hypothetical lists of a Canada B and a Canada C squad (comprised of the best players who didn't make the first team), and each of those looked like bona fide contenders for gold.

Obviously, I know the Jets roster the best, and of the four players who were selected for various olympic rosters, only one (Blake Wheeler) would remotely be in the conversation for some of the team's best players.  All the rest are Canadians who didn't even get a sniff at an olympic roster.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 03:37:28 PM
Hell, I dare say you could make a Team Manitoba and it'd be equivalent to at least the Czechs or so.

Actually, take a look at this list and tell me Team Manitoba wouldn't be a strong contender:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/active-nhl-players-born-in-manitoba-career-stats.html

Only weakness might be in goal. :hmm:

crazy canuck

Teams would have a hard time scoring on team BC, and we would have scoring punch.  We are very well represented on team Canada as it is.

sbr

What are the odds there are NHL players in the next Olympic hockey tournament?  From what I have been hearing it sounds like a huge long shot.

Grey Fox

Our best sports would be the Moguls, hands down.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
What are the odds there are NHL players in the next Olympic hockey tournament?  From what I have been hearing it sounds like a huge long shot.
Why?

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2014, 07:27:32 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
Why?

The NHL owners don't like it, they would much prefer a World Cup of Hockey in late autumn than taking a break in february when there's only the NBA to compete with in the US.

The NHL players only went to Sochi because the Russians basically said they were going anyway & the union decided to back them up.

Barrister

Meh - the NHL talks a good game, but is just trying to grind the IOC for a few more concessions.

Plus, as bad as the Sochi is for time zones, South Korea would be worse.

Grey Fox

It's true, I don't know what else they can ask for tho.

They already get paid for insurance & all transportation, can use Olympic footage, NHL media have access to mix media area.

sbr

I had heard that it was unlikely they would be back next time before the last couple of days, and now 2 very good NHL players have suffered season-ending injuries.

sbr

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2014, 07:34:03 PM
It's true, I don't know what else they can ask for tho.

They already get paid for insurance & all transportation, can use Olympic footage, NHL media have access to mix media area.

Maybe they don't want anything except for their $10 million+ players to not get hurt for nothing.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2014, 01:20:03 PM5 Awful Stories You Haven't Heard About the Winter Olympics

#5. Sochi's Mayor Says the City Is Magically Gay-Free
And then the lugers, male figure skaters and female cross country skiers showed up
Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2014, 01:20:03 PM
#4. Russia Is Expanding Its Borders and Kicking People Out to Make Space for the Olympics

Russia is expanding? Thats what Russia does when solvent.
#3. Shady Contractors Are Using the Olympics to Get Rich

:glare: I'm shocked

#2. Sochi Will Be the Most Unfun Olympics Ever for Visitors

It's russia WTF do you expect?

#1. Local Authorities Are Treating Animals Like Shit, People Like Animals
[/quote]

Oh, well, at least they aren't treating people like they do regular russians.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.