News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: PRC on February 14, 2014, 02:14:03 PM
And Canada gets the 6-0 win over Austria.  I think Luongo should get the start against the Finns.
Not unexpected.  I'm kinda amused by all the sports commentators talking of these two "great" victories, as if they meant anything.  It would have meant something if they lost, but winning against clubs that never won a medal isn't any achievement at all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Wohooooooooooo!

Gold in the womens relay! Eat that Norway!

Now we only need to beat them in the men's relay tomorrow!

Barrister

I wake up and see USA-Russia has gone to a shootout!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Maximus on February 15, 2014, 01:38:29 AM
"African American" is a specific set of people, not a set of characteristics.
It's a set of people who have a certain set of characteristics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2014, 10:25:38 AM

Which set of characteristics is that?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2014, 10:53:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2014, 10:25:38 AM

Which set of characteristics is that?
Primarily dark skin.  I don't know, I'm not an ethnologist.

Still, I've seen (on the internet) black folks getting all pissy when a white South African is called an 'African-American', so blackness is clearly a factor.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

:bleeding: Now you're just deliberately obfuscating and arguing in circles.
Quote from: merithyn on February 15, 2014, 02:06:29 AM
Just wanted to point this out, but most studies now show that it's not "race" that contributes to the risk of high blood pressure in African-Americans, but rather the culture. Basically, black Americans (black men, in particular) may have a tendency toward high blood pressure not because of their race but because they don't take care of themselves when they do get it. It's a social issue, much like race is a social construct that only really came about in the last 300 years.
Of course nothing of this sort exists "because" of race.  Race, however you define it (in good faith, and not to be deliberately confusing), is a proxy variable, and thus cannot have a causal relationship with anything.  That doesn't make it useless, if it is an easier variable to observe than the casual variables.  When humanity obtains perfect and free knowledge, proxy variables won't be of any use anymore, but needless to say we're not there yet.

Hypertension was just one example, there is a whole body of race-based medicine, that deals with either determining racial/ethnic risk factors for certain conditions, or with finding the optimal treatment regiment given the patient's race.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM

I sort of feel for the Russians on that one--they were a bit hard done by on the disallowed goal. We may have used too much karma on a meaningless game--you could argue that the Russians are better off not getting the first round bye because their opponent should be manageable and they get an extra game to play together.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2014, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM

I sort of feel for the Russians on that one--they were a bit hard done by on the disallowed goal. We may have used too much karma on a meaningless game--you could argue that the Russians are better off not getting the first round bye because their opponent should be manageable and they get an extra game to play together.
Yeah, something feels wrong about the goal being disallowed because the goalie himself dislodged the net.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Sweden-Latvia was a pretty good game most of the way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall