News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 12:33:03 PM
Couldn't it be possible though for those of European ancestry to tolerate cold better than those of African ancestry.  Or conversely, those of African ancestry tolerating heat better than those of European ancestry?  Has any serious study been done on that?

There is some very minor benefits to having pale skin in cold temperature (decreases your chance at skin freezing), and some very minor benefits to having dark skin in hot weather (dissipates heat faster), but something like 99% of it is cultural.

My brothers in-laws from the tropical parts of Brazil are all very white, and all have complained bitterly about the cold when in Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_1988 (February 13 - February 28 1988)

QuoteThe weather was a dominant story throughout much of the Games, as strong chinook winds that brought daily temperatures as high as 17 °C (63 °F) wreaked havoc on the schedules for outdoor events. Events were delayed when winds were deemed unsafe for competitors and organizers used artificial snow making equipment to ensure skiing venues were properly prepared.[52] It was the first time in Olympic history that alpine events were held on artificial snow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Couldn't it be possible though for those of European ancestry to tolerate cold better than those of African ancestry.  Or conversely, those of African ancestry tolerating heat better than those of European ancestry?  Has any serious study been done on that?

I am pretty sure that anyone who is used to living in a warm climate will find a cold climate to be cold no matter what their skin colour.  The only thing that skin colour impacts is the amount of sunlight required for the body to create vitamin D.  So for example, people with darker skin living in the North are advised to take vitamin D supplements during Winter months.

derspiess

I'm not discounting acclimation.  I'm sure that's most of it.  But over the eons during which Africans lived in Africa and Europeans lived in Europe, I'd have to think there was some sort of genetic adaptation to the respective environments.  I've never heard of any studies that prove or disprove it, though-- hence my question.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:03:22 PM
I'm not discounting acclimation.  I'm sure that's most of it.  But over the eons during which Africans lived in Africa and Europeans lived in Europe, I'd have to think there was some sort of genetic adaptation to the respective environments.  I've never heard of any studies that prove or disprove it, though-- hence my question.

You understand that summers are hot in the north right?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2014, 12:36:35 PM
Ancestries are a social construct.

:lol:

Oh, you're serious?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 01:04:37 PM

Warm.  Sometimes hot.  Point?

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 01:04:37 PM

Warm.  Sometimes hot.  Point?

Why, other than some racist tendancy, would you consider that an Italian or Spaniard who has to live through very hot temperatures in the Summer has some kind of genetic ability to withstand cold better than others based only on the fact that they are "European"?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

How would you measure that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Never mind.  Someone threw out the word "racist" so it's pointless to continue discussing.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2014, 01:12:09 PM
How would you measure that?

I guess you could measure physiological effects for people with different ancestries to different temperatures but it would be tough to control for everything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 01:14:01 PM
Never mind.  Someone threw out the word "racist" so it's pointless to continue discussing.

CC throws lots of shit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I'm pretty sure I've read that light coloured skin has slightly better rates of not getting frostbite, and dark skin has slightly better rates of not getting skin cancer (or something similar).

You're right, there must be some evolutionary reason why white and dark skin tones both evolved.

But when it comes down to perceptions of feeling hot or cold, it's all about what you're used to, and skin colour has very little to do with it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Body hair should have something to do with it.