And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2014, 11:00:53 AM
My experience is that blackman are easily cold. Especially the Haitians.

Do you think that Haitians might get cold easily because they come from a really hot climate and didn't grow up in the cold? Seems odd to attribute that to skin color.

Thank you, whomever you are. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Do you think that Haitians might get cold easily because they come from a really hot climate and didn't grow up in the cold? Seems odd to attribute that to skin color.

Yes but it also applies to kids that were born here from immigrants parents. Maybe 3rd generation fares better. To be fair this is a cultural isssue not racial. The Algerians also suffer from it.

Building a resistance to cold takes more than a generation.

@G Sorry, Black people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2014, 11:17:23 AM

Yes but it also applies to kids that were born here from immigrants parents. Maybe 3rd generation fares better. To be fair this is a cultural isssue not racial. The Algerians also suffer from it.

Building a resistance to cold takes more than a generation.

Actually there's an easy alternate explanation that has nothing to do with building resistance. More like what your parents teach you to consider cold.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2014, 11:17:23 AM
@G Sorry, Black people.

My real issue was you being lazy and going racial.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2014, 09:18:12 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2014, 09:14:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
People go shirtless in 50 degree weather?

Yes, of course. It's pretty hot.

Temps of 15 C or less are not hot, Canada.

In the middle of Winter.  Yes.  Yes it is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2014, 09:47:14 AM
I don't think it is a black thing. :mellow:

If you treated them better they might warm up to you  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 11:10:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2014, 11:09:42 AM
Yeah blackmen is not a word.

Incorrect.  It is now part of the Languish lexicon.

At least he didn't say blackman girls.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

No, that could potentially mean they are unusually high (depends on climate). That doesn't mean it is hot.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2014, 12:13:08 PM
No, that could potentially mean they are unusually high (depends on climate). That doesn't mean it is hot.

To a great degree, perception of temperature is subjective. A sunny day in winter in Canada where it rose to 15 C would *feel* hot, while the same temperature in the middle of summer would feel cold.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

Yeah, if you ignore where they are. 

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 14, 2014, 12:19:06 PM

To a great degree, perception of temperature is subjective. A sunny day in winter in Canada where it rose to 15 C would *feel* hot, while the same temperature in the middle of summer would feel cold.

Yeah it is pretty funny how cool and refreshing 27C feels in a Texas Summer.  That is what I generally have my AC set to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2014, 12:23:08 PM

Yeah it is pretty funny how cool and refreshing 27C feels in a Texas Summer.  That is what I generally have my AC set to.

The last time I was in Rome I had the AC set to 30C.  It felt downright cold walking into that from the 40C outside.

garbon

The other days when it got to high 30s after it had been in the teens here, it felt warm to me as I didn't have to wear multiple layers. I mentioned that day though that I felt like a battered woman who was confused about what was actually acceptable. :(

derspiess

Couldn't it be possible though for those of European ancestry to tolerate cold better than those of African ancestry.  Or conversely, those of African ancestry tolerating heat better than those of European ancestry?  Has any serious study been done on that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 14, 2014, 12:33:03 PM
Couldn't it be possible though for those of European ancestry to tolerate cold better than those of African ancestry.  Or conversely, those of African ancestry tolerating heat better than those of European ancestry?  Has any serious study been done on that?
Ancestries are a social construct.