And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 11:44:21 AM
How about New Zealand?

The problem with holding the winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere is that you would have to go for the July / August timeframe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 11:47:56 AM
The problem with holding the winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere is that you would have to go for the July / August timeframe.

How's that a problem?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 11:48:48 AM

How's that a problem?

Almost all the athletes are from the northern hemisphere. I know that some have indoor sports, and some go to the southern hemisphere to train in the summer, but a lot only really compete in the northern hemisphere winter. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

How's that a problem?

It would seriously mess with every athlete's training regime.  July/August is the offseason.  If it's an olympic year they start ramping up their training in the fall winter, competing in other major events December / January, with the ultimate goal to then peak in February atthe olympics.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

I'm sure Kazakhstan could find the money, and it's inland so probably more stabile cold weather in the winter.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on February 13, 2014, 11:57:24 AM
I'm sure Kazakhstan could find the money, and it's inland so probably more stabile cold weather in the winter.

Yeah, it probably has a great climate for the Olympics, great mountains, oil money...Unfortunately the fact it is Kazakhstan overrides everything.  :P

Liep

Kazakhstan can't be worse than China or Russia.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Also, Germany leads the medal race so far. They're just very good at luge, and it looks like they're getting another one in the luge relay. :lol:

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM

Yeah, it probably has a great climate for the Olympics, great mountains, oil money...Unfortunately the fact it is Kazakhstan overrides everything.  :P

And the inevitable "Borat Olympics" jokes...

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on February 13, 2014, 12:05:52 PM
Kazakhstan can't be worse than China or Russia.

Sure it can.  It's more like Belorussia, than Russia itself.  Both China and Russia at least have nicer facades of democracy than Kazakhstan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

I'd say 90% of Americans have no idea what kind of government Kazakhstan has.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 12:08:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM

And the inevitable "Borat Olympics" jokes...

Borat could be the mascot!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 12:11:59 PM
I'd say 90% of Americans have no idea what kind of government Kazakhstan has.

Sultanate!

Grey Fox

How's that a problem?

For the same reason that the Summer Olympics of Rio will be held in Rio's Winter.

Only the 1956 Melbourne Olympics were actually held in Southern Hemisphere Summer.*

*Except the Equine events
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.