News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2014, 10:26:22 AM
Beijing?  Didn't we just do that?  China should put it on in the Himalayas.  Lhasa 2022!

That elevation would be brutal for the cross-country skiers.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 10:29:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2014, 10:26:22 AM
Beijing?  Didn't we just do that?  China should put it on in the Himalayas.  Lhasa 2022!

That elevation would be brutal for the cross-country skiers.

Hell it would be brutal for the spectators.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM
Beijing?  Has a city ever done both Winter and Summer Olympics (after the split, of course)?

Nope, even before the split.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 07:09:02 AM
All the candidate city, so far, for 2022 all sucks.

:huh:

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Only Almaty is :bleeding:.  I'd probably write off L'viv due to recent political problems in Ukraine, and Beijing seems unlikely.  But either of Krakow or Oslo would be fine.

Third World
Best
Third World
Third World
Third World but can pull it off.

Krakow isn't third world.  It was a very lovely city.  My only complaint was that in 2009 a lot of the highways were shit, but they were building even back then.

But it isn't really a premier winter sports destination. I agree with whoever it was that said half of them should be in the Alps. Beijing could be an interesting choice--northern china isn't a winter sports destination either, but I understand the potential is there, and some steps are being taken to develop it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 10:40:14 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 07:09:02 AM
All the candidate city, so far, for 2022 all sucks.

:huh:

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Only Almaty is :bleeding:.  I'd probably write off L'viv due to recent political problems in Ukraine, and Beijing seems unlikely.  But either of Krakow or Oslo would be fine.

Third World
Best
Third World
Third World
Third World but can pull it off.

Krakow isn't third world.  It was a very lovely city.  My only complaint was that in 2009 a lot of the highways were shit, but they were building even back then.

But it isn't really a premier winter sports destination. I agree with whoever it was that said half of them should be in the Alps. Beijing could be an interesting choice--northern china isn't a winter sports destination either, but I understand the potential is there, and some steps are being taken to develop it.

Only the alpine events need to be held outside, and from a cursory glance it looks like the proposal to have the events in Jasna, Slovakia would be quite suitable.  I did drive through Slovakia on that same trip to Krakow, and it certain seemed mountainous enough for skiing.

Besides, the Alps hardly need more tourist draws.  One of the only uses of hosting the olympics is to create an attraction to an area that wasn't previously "on the map" for tourism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

In accordance with the new IOC goal to reduce the spendings for olympics I think we can rule out China.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PRC

USA looked pretty damn strong in their opener against Slovakia.

Admiral Yi

US women curlers are a travesty.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:52:33 AM

Only the alpine events need to be held outside, and from a cursory glance it looks like the proposal to have the events in Jasna, Slovakia would be quite suitable.  I did drive through Slovakia on that same trip to Krakow, and it certain seemed mountainous enough for skiing.

Besides, the Alps hardly need more tourist draws.  One of the only uses of hosting the olympics is to create an attraction to an area that wasn't previously "on the map" for tourism.

Wouldn't the cross country skiing, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, and maybe more also need to be outside?

Sochi may be using the Olympics to become a tourist draw, but in the past hosting has been used to highlight what is already in place. I think it would be awesome to have the Olympics in a place like Breckenridge. From a competition point of view, since the resorts are already in the best spots, that would be ideal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 11:10:53 AM

Wouldn't the cross country skiing, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, and maybe more also need to be outside?

Sochi may be using the Olympics to become a tourist draw, but in the past hosting has been used to highlight what is already in place. I think it would be awesome to have the Olympics in a place like Breckenridge. From a competition point of view, since the resorts are already in the best spots, that would be ideal.

I had to look up where Breckenridge is.

Back 40-50 years ago the Winter olympics were held in small resort towns.  I remember going to Cortina in Italy, host of the 1956 Winter Olympics.  It's a pretty small place really.  But the Olympics have outgrown towns like that.  Too many athletes, too many journalists and visitors.  That's why increasingly the Winter Olympics have been held in bigger cities, and the alpine events held in a ski resort some distance away.

So you wouldn't have the Breckenridge Olympics, you'd have the Denver Olympics.  Which I suppose is quite doable, but Denver doesn't really need the boost as a winter destination.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Just 20 years ago it was held in Lillehammer, which isn't big at all.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Why is there no women's double luge?

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 11:17:18 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2014, 11:10:53 AM

I had to look up where Breckenridge is.

Back 40-50 years ago the Winter olympics were held in small resort towns.  I remember going to Cortina in Italy, host of the 1956 Winter Olympics.  It's a pretty small place really.  But the Olympics have outgrown towns like that.  Too many athletes, too many journalists and visitors.  That's why increasingly the Winter Olympics have been held in bigger cities, and the alpine events held in a ski resort some distance away.

So you wouldn't have the Breckenridge Olympics, you'd have the Denver Olympics.  Which I suppose is quite doable, but Denver doesn't really need the boost as a winter destination.

I named Breckenridge as a major US resort. You are probably right. But I think Denver would be in line with Salt Lake City, Vancouver, and Torino.

It seems as though they maybe stretched a bit too far with Sochi. It seems to be working, but at a ridiculous cost. I have my doubts the investment is going to pay off. In 20-30 years I think the Sochi location is going to seem embarrassing.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 11:17:18 AM

Does Denver need the boost?  No.  Would it be really cool to have the Olympics in Colorado?  Yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi