News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 11, 2014, 10:08:55 PM
I'm ready for Men's hockey to start. Little bored with all this ski.

I'm enjoying all the sports so far but i'm definitely ready for the puck to drop!

alfred russel

There is a poll on ESPN asking who will win the mens hockey gold. All 50 states answered USA. We got this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2014, 11:47:35 PM
There is a poll on ESPN asking who will win the mens hockey gold. All 50 states answered USA. We got this.
The law of large numbers is definitely on our side.  :)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2014, 11:50:38 PM
Waiting for The Brain's fat-Americans joke... or is this his fat-Americans joke preempted?  :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

PRC

USA will take home the Silver.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on February 12, 2014, 12:00:52 AM

It's a shame CC doesn't like hockey, he'll have to take a week off from this thread and olympic covering :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Holy shit - Great Britain put up a 7 ender against the US in women's curling. :o

Just a quick recap - in curling you get one point in an end for each rock that you have that is closer to the middle of the rings than any of your opponent's rocks.  And each side only gets 8 rocks.  So in that one end, Britain wound up with 7 rocks in the rings (out of a total of 8), while the US had none in the rings.

It's actually almost as remarkable because it means the US just curled really, really badly in that one end.  No team at that level should be giving up a 7 ender.  But still interesting to see.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: PRC on February 12, 2014, 12:00:52 AM

The difference last time was a Sidney Crosby goal. That won't happen again--not now that we know all we need to do is hit him high a couple times in the preliminaries.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2014, 12:05:05 AM
Holy shit - Great Britain put up a 7 ender against the US in women's curling. :o

Just a quick recap - in curling you get one point in an end for each rock that you have that is closer to the middle of the rings than any of your opponent's rocks.  And each side only gets 8 rocks.  So in that one end, Britain wound up with 7 rocks in the rings (out of a total of 8), while the US had none in the rings.

It's actually almost as remarkable because it means the US just curled really, really badly in that one end.  No team at that level should be giving up a 7 ender.  But still interesting to see.

Fuck.

I have this dream that we dominate the medal count and Russia sucks and when it is all over Obama says "I want to thank my good friend Vlad for spending $50 billion on all those great facilities so we could kick his ass in style."

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 11, 2014, 11:59:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2014, 11:50:38 PM
Waiting for The Brain's fat-Americans joke... or is this his fat-Americans joke preempted?  :hmm:
My jokes are works of art.  You see in them what you want to see.  :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2014, 12:10:24 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2014, 12:05:05 AM

Fuck.

I have this dream that we dominate the medal count and Russia sucks and when it is all over Obama says "I want to thank my good friend Vlad for spending $50 billion on all those great facilities so we could kick his ass in style."

At the moment, USA and Russia are tied with 7 medals.

Norway is in the lead with 11, with is hugely surprising unless you've watched the winter Olympics before.

What is surprising, shocking even, is Canada is in second with 9 medals, including 4 gold. :o

fhdz

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2014, 12:25:11 AM
Norway is in the lead with 11, with is hugely surprising unless you've watched the winter Olympics before.

:D
and the horse you rode in on

alfred russel

Canada and Norway. You never know what they are doing up there. You figure they are trying to stay warm,  and probably digging to find their driveways and fossil fuels. But they never really do anything notable, so you forget about them most of the time.

And then the Winter Olympics come, and you realize while you were ignoring them, they were probably practicing winter sports. And now you are behind both of them in the medals, even though their combined populations are like 1/8th of yours. And you are supposed to be the world superpower.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2014, 12:40:04 AM
Canada and Norway. You never know what they are doing up there. You figure they are trying to stay warm,  and probably digging to find their driveways and fossil fuels. But they never really do anything notable, so you forget about them most of the time.

And then the Winter Olympics come, and you realize while you were ignoring them, they were probably practicing winter sports. And now you are behind both of them in the medals, even though their combined populations are like 1/8th of yours. And you are supposed to be the world superpower.

In Norway's defence, their population is more like 1/50th of yours.

When it comes to Canada... In 2010, we had the 3rd most medals.  But before that in 2006 we were 5th, 1998 and 2002 we were 4th, 1994 we were 7th, 1992 we were 9th, 1988 (in Calgary!) we were 13th, with no golds.

It's just remarkable how we've been climbing up those standings in the last 20 years.

Of course though, all that really matters to any red-blooded Canadian is winning gold in hockey and curling.