NRA appeals Chicago handgun ban to Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2009, 05:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palisadoes

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2009, 07:41:47 AM
Quote from: Palisadoes on June 05, 2009, 07:27:07 AM
I'll never understand the obsession with guns in the USA. Even when I've had a little play with rifles and other weapons on the ranges it never really appealed *that* much to me. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it was never that much of a big deal like it seemingly is for many in the USA (i.e. you won't give up your weapons as they are your "right", as dictated by your constitution).
The US is a big, open place without effective law-enforcement and with several groups of criminals attracted by the wealth of the place.  Guns make more sense there than they would in a smaller country with laws that doesn't have any blacks or Mexicans.
About 1/6th of our population are from ethnic minorities here in the UK. Maybe we should arm up? :D

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on June 05, 2009, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2009, 07:41:47 AM
The US is a big, open place without effective law-enforcement and with several groups of criminals attracted by the wealth of the place.  Guns make more sense there than they would in a smaller country with laws that doesn't have any blacks or Mexicans.

Guns do make more sense in big, rural N.America than in tamed Europe but still. The USians take it to crazy extremes.
The founding fathers are :bleeding: in their graves.
Let's not assume that the founding fathers have any real knowledge in how to properly run a modern state.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Of even greater importance - the Supreme Court has agreed to review Bilski v. Doll - the business method patent case decided by the Fed Circuit en banc late last year.

I predict one will be able to sink one of Neil's dreadnoughts with the weight of the amicus briefs that will be submitted in that case.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2009, 01:31:43 PM
Of even greater importance - the Supreme Court has agreed to review Bilski v. Doll - the business method patent case decided by the Fed Circuit en banc late last year.

I predict one will be able to sink one of Neil's dreadnoughts with the weight of the amicus briefs that will be submitted in that case.
Well, maybe not a dreadnought, but it would probably capsize a destroyer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Ahh, Yeah.  Will be a fun one.  The en banc Bilski opinions were relatively incoherent.

DontSayBanana

Reading. I'm assuming that appeals' overarcing rationale was that too-broad permission could be a mechanism to create monopolies and operate counter to antitrust legislation?
Experience bij!

ulmont

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 05, 2009, 03:16:41 PM
Reading. I'm assuming that appeals' overarcing rationale was that too-broad permission could be a mechanism to create monopolies and operate counter to antitrust legislation?

No.  The patent-owner lost at the Federal Circuit.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 05, 2009, 10:11:07 AM
P.S., I'm wearing a gun right now. But no underwear.

Compensating for anything?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2009, 11:18:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 05, 2009, 10:11:07 AM
P.S., I'm wearing a gun right now. But no underwear.

Compensating for anything?

Shitty policing. Fuckers are all out on the Interstates writing tickets and don't patrol the neighborhoods as much.

Plus, there are teenagers on skateboards out an about. When the emo riot starts, I'm opening fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive