News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guinea: armed robbers must BURN in FIRE

Started by Syt, June 06, 2009, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Reuters: Burn armed robbers, says Guinea crime chief

QuoteCONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinean citizens should burn any armed robbers they catch to avoid filling the country's prisons, the military government's anti-crime chief said Tuesday.

Lawlessness in the capital city Conakry has risen in recent months, with soldiers accused of being among the main culprits of robberies and rapes.

"I'm asking you to burn all armed bandits who are caught red-handed committing an armed robbery," said Captain Moussa Tiegboro Camara, appointed by the military junta to oversee the fight against drugs and serious crime.

"The prisons are full and cannot take more people, and the situation cannot continue like that," he told a meeting of city officials, adding that residents should form self-defense committees to protect themselves against crime.

The National Council for Democracy and Development (CNDD), seized power in the world's biggest bauxite exporter last December after long-serving President Lansana Conte died. It has made fighting the drug trade and corruption a priority.

So far Guineans have indicated their readiness to allow the CNDD to stay in power until elections scheduled for December, but last month security forces fired on rioters in Conakry, the first major public disturbance since the junta seized power.

Rights groups were unhappy with Camara's suggestion on cutting crime.

"These measures worry us," said Thierno Maadjou Sow, president of the Guinean Organization of Human Rights. "The law of a country must not be bypassed, whatever the circumstances. These people must be handed over to justice and tried."

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

PDH

I like this idea.  I also support:

Neutering for jaywalking.
Stangulation for filling out paperwork wrong.
Decapitation for riding a motorcyle in a pink shirt.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on June 06, 2009, 09:24:57 AM
I like this idea.  I also support:

Neutering for jaywalking.
Stangulation for filling out paperwork wrong.
Decapitation for riding a motorcyle in a pink shirt.

Assrape for skateboarding
Assrape for listening to emo music
Assrape for wearing black more than 75% of the time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM