News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dylan Farrow accuses Woody Allen

Started by Sheilbh, February 01, 2014, 09:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

It's like a nudnik, but with less spilkes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2014, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2014, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 10, 2014, 11:36:35 AM
:hmm: Nebbish means 'asshole', right?

The polar opposite.

I think you're thinking of "mensch".

Doesn't nebbish mean something akin to a nerd?  :hmm:

Google sez: a person, esp. a man, who is regarded as pitifully ineffectual, timid, or submissive.

I meant opposite in that a timid person is opposite of an assholish one. Didn't mean it was positive. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Timid people can be assholes too, they're just more passive aggressive about it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I'm not sure a truly timid person could be passive aggressive. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Maybe passive aggressive is the wrong word. There's always "safe" targets like pets, children, underlings, anonymous strangers online, etc. There's also small assholish things one can do without too much worry, like stiffing your waiter or shutting elevator doors on people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney