News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

State of the Union 2014

Started by MadImmortalMan, January 28, 2014, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2014, 12:55:49 AM
My shallow and potentially incorrect understanding of the MyRA thing is not that it's a new kind of high-performing yet risk free bond or some such. Rather, it's to provide something similar to a 401K plan for people whose employers do not set up or otherwise provide such a plan.

Does that understanding make sense? And if it makes sense, is it a reasonable initiative?

Yes, that would be a reasonable initiative.  Right now people without a 401k have no way to make regular payments to an investment vehicle with a tax benefit (AFAIK).

Still doesn't explain the "decent return/no risk" part.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2014, 01:47:37 AMYes, that would be a reasonable initiative.  Right now people without a 401k have no way to make regular payments to an investment vehicle with a tax benefit (AFAIK).

Still doesn't explain the "decent return/no risk" part.

I'm guessing - and this is purely guesswork at something that would make sense to me in explaining such a comment - that MyRA plans, or at least certain parts of them, will be underwritten by the government. I.e. something like there'll be a framework that the investments have to follow (to avoid high or even medium risk investments), and as long as that framework is followed if they fail to bring a certain minimal return, the government will make up the difference. So - if your MyRA investments make less than 4% return in any given year, the gov't will top it up until it does.

This, of course, subject to maximum contributions and whatever regulations. So essentially a variable giveaway, to encourage people to save for their pensions.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2014, 01:11:40 AM
Was there anything about dissolving the legislature?  Fear keeping the local systems in line?

No, but he had a good applause line paying tribute to Boehner, which was pretty funny.

Ideologue

I've never heard his name said aloud.  Is it actually "Boner"? :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 29, 2014, 01:57:13 AM
I'm guessing - and this is purely guesswork at something that would make sense to me in explaining such a comment - that MyRA plans, or at least certain parts of them, will be underwritten by the government. I.e. something like there'll be a framework that the investments have to follow (to avoid high or even medium risk investments), and as long as that framework is followed if they fail to bring a certain minimal return, the government will make up the difference. So - if your MyRA investments make less than 4% return in any given year, the gov't will top it up until it does.

Ruh-roh.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
Bay-ner is what I've heard.

Ah.  Maybe I have heard aloud and didn't realize it. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:36:32 PM
We produce more oil than we import.  That's just super.  Ravaging our environment and depleting our natural reserves while extending the world's, and still not a single improvement in our refining capability.

Suckers.

That was my thought too  since the US isn't likely building new refineries, but there was a news item last week or so that said refineries have been increasing capacity over the past few years, due to more domestic oil and also for the possibility of the Keystone pipeline coming in.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:05:45 PM
Secretary of Energy.  12th in succession.
And what a President he'd be, single-handedly bringing back the powdered wig look:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 09:37:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 09:05:45 PM
Secretary of Energy.  12th in succession.
And what a President he'd be, single-handedly bringing back the powdered wig look:

It really should be in the law that one of the top 4 cabinet officials has to be chosen.

Secretary of State    
Secretary of the Treasury
Secretary of Defense    
Attorney General
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Secretary of Energy is a pretty powerful position, Tim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2014, 09:54:26 AM
Secretary of Energy is a pretty powerful position, Tim.

He checks every lightbulb.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

The Secretary of Energy controls the nukes.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2014, 10:03:25 AM
The Secretary of Energy controls the nukes.

And all those delicious Energon cubes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive