News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

State of the Union 2014

Started by MadImmortalMan, January 28, 2014, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 28, 2014, 10:51:06 PM
Ha.  There is a Republican response and a Tea Party response.

And a Rand Paul Wing of the Tea Party Response, which is separate from the Mike Lee Wing of the Tea Party Response.

Where do you stand, derfetus?  Official GOP biblethumper wing, the SEC Tea Party or the PAC12 Tea Party?

derspiess

Shhh... Rand is on FNC right now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 10:54:29 PM
Somebody who thinks there can be such a thing as a decent return with no risk.  :hmm:

Surely he didn't talk as if "MyRA" was going to offer higher than market returns, did he?  :huh:

I also just realized that interest on government debt is already tax free.  So it seems as if all they did was come up with a catchy new name.  :(

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 10:54:07 PM

Sounds good. I'd be all for isolating the Tea Party out.

The feeling is mutual.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 10:54:56 PM

And a Rand Paul Wing of the Tea Party Response, which is separate from the Mike Lee Wing of the Tea Party Response.

Where do you stand, derfetus?  Official GOP biblethumper wing, the SEC Tea Party or the PAC12 Tea Party?

I haven't watched Mike Lee yet but pending anything earth-shattering I Stand With Rand.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2014, 11:01:08 PM
I haven't watched Mike Lee yet but pending anything earth-shattering I Stand With Rand.

Up with pot, down with the UN.  Gotcha.

derspiess

US out of the UN!!  UN out of the US!!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Headlines from Austrian news sites:

ORF (state broadcaster): Obama increases minimum wage to more than $10
Die Presse (conservative): Obama caught up in details: president writes off blocked congress. With promises and tiny reforms he hopes to help the long term unemployed and minimum wage workers.
Der Standard (leftish): Obama wants to increase social justice all by himself: US president to act without congress if necessary. Cautious comments about Iran. Reply from Republicans: "Empty Promises"
Der Kurier (middle of the road): Obama: "America is not standing still." US president denounces social grievances and will act without congress, if necessary.
Kronen Zeitung (tabloid): nothing on front page. They're covering the closure of police stations in Austria, ski racing results and animal protection groups targeting the pope's doves. They're one of the most widely circulated papers.
OE24 (online portal of tabloid rag Österreich): More than $10: Obama increases minimum wage. President denounces social grievances in State of the Union Address.
heute (free newspaper - I'm using the term VERY loosely - that is distributed daily at the subway): Nothing. Last article on Obama is from the 27th, about Michelle being unhappy/jealous that actress Kerry Washington asked Obama to be the godfather of her kid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2014, 10:59:34 PMSurely he didn't talk as if "MyRA" was going to offer higher than market returns, did he?  :huh:

I also just realized that interest on government debt is already tax free.  So it seems as if all they did was come up with a catchy new name.  :(

My shallow and potentially incorrect understanding of the MyRA thing is not that it's a new kind of high-performing yet risk free bond or some such. Rather, it's to provide something similar to a 401K plan for people whose employers do not set up or otherwise provide such a plan.

Does that understanding make sense? And if it makes sense, is it a reasonable initiative?

Ideologue

Was there anything about dissolving the legislature?  Fear keeping the local systems in line?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)