News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Burning Norwegian Villages

Started by Viking, January 28, 2014, 05:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Well it seems that wooden villages in norway are burning down. Yes, villages, not houses, neighborhoods.

First Lærdal lost 20 or so buildings, now Håsavåg, Småværete and Flatanger are adding between 50-70 houses.

Still not a peep about open fire places, wood stoves and and insufficient fire department coverage in rural areas. Norway is burning.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Amusing considering the last thread about Norway I remember here was about that joy of wood burning TV show.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

139 houses now, they are burning as we post

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

the coast guard with it's water cannons can't actually get close enough to the villages that are burning.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I went to look this up and there were many stories about this happening in another village earlier this month.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Is there a drought or something? Why is this suddenly happening now?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

And Vikes, why are you of all people immediately resorting to the "OMG somebody ban something!!!111" response?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 01:40:10 PM

Have you seen Mississippi Burning?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2014, 01:43:50 PM

Have you seen Mississippi Burning?

Or Paris Is Burning?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Not a drought. Droughts don't happen in Norway. What is happening was a sudden cold spike starting mid january.

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 01:41:13 PM
And Vikes, why are you of all people immediately resorting to the "OMG somebody ban something!!!111" response?

Nobody in norwegian media has brought the cause up or speculated as to what it might have been yet. I am speculating that it is related to open fire places and wood burning stoves. This winter has been mild until mid january so I suspect that many of these fire places were being used for the first time this winter.

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 01:41:13 PM

I didn't read this right the first time. I'm not advocating a ban. I'd advocate education.

However, the municipal authorities in the nearby coastal counties have now instituted a ban on open flames in the outdoors. The wind coupled with the lack of snow on the ground is now being blamed for the fires.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Duque de Bragança