News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Burning Norwegian Villages

Started by Viking, January 28, 2014, 05:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Have they started looking for longships full of Irish monks yet?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Did it start with ceremonially torching a longboat?

KRonn

I can imagine this is what it was like in earlier times, that fires were a more frequent problem before the advent of central heating and gas/electric stoves.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 28, 2014, 11:01:56 AM
Finally karma strikes.

In retrospect, I feel bad about making light of these misfortunes so flippantly.  In my defense I was reading the chapter in Peter Heather's latest book that covers the Vikings so it leaped to mind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 29, 2014, 05:03:36 AM
First churches, now villages.  :hmm:
Some new Metal cult?

Most likely, open fire places like Viking said.  If they have been used only sporadically and not cleaned before intensive use, it is totally possible for problems to arise.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2014, 11:45:00 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 28, 2014, 11:01:56 AM
Finally karma strikes.

In retrospect, I feel bad about making light of these misfortunes so flippantly.  In my defense I was reading the chapter in Peter Heather's latest book that covers the Vikings so it leaped to mind.

Nobody died, so it's still funny. Ok, not funny, merely not in bad taste.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

In addtion to fire, now add flooding. A land-slide in Namdal fell into the fjord causing a 4-5 meter high tsunami in that fjord. Forces of nature are really having a go....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.