News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So there seems to be a nasty bug WAD issue with troops walking freely in other countries even if they don't have access. For instance,  if Japan is at war with sweden, and so is Russia, then Japan can move its troops through Russia. Which means a careful Japanese player can move his troops to the gates of Moscow and then DOW Russia.

For those who can access Paradox

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-are-soviets-walking-through-my-territory.943807/
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2016, 02:30:29 PM
So there seems to be a nasty bug WAD issue with troops walking freely in other countries even if they don't have access. For instance,  if Japan is at war with sweden, and so is Russia, then Japan can move its troops through Russia. Which means a careful Japanese player can move his troops to the gates of Moscow and then DOW Russia.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-are-soviets-walking-through-my-territory.943807/

Your thread has a link to a thread (which I can't see as I don't have the game) which seems to suggest that someone at p'dox noted it as part of the design.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2016, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2016, 02:30:29 PM

Your thread has a link to a thread (which I can't see as I don't have the game) which seems to suggest that someone at p'dox noted it as part of the design.

yes. It's WAD.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

garbon

I wonder why they didn't do as in other games and say you can't declare war if you already have troops in the enemy country?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2016, 03:19:01 PM
I wonder why they didn't do as in other games and say you can't declare war if you already have troops in the enemy country?
How realistic would that be?  If in real life Germany declared war on Finland at the same time as Soviets did, and transferred a couple of millions of its troops to the outskirts of Moscow under automatic military access, would they really just not be able to do anything to Russians there and then regardless of how much they willed it?  Seems to be too big of a break in suspension of disbelief to me.

Josephus

yeah, haven't played enough to comment. Not sure why this was included in the design though. Seems rather strange. Even if you couldn't DOW, seems odd that you can just waltz through another nation without access.
Civis Romanus Sum

Maladict

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2016, 03:41:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2016, 03:19:01 PM
How realistic would that be?  If in real life Germany declared war on Finland at the same time as Soviets did, and transferred a couple of millions of its troops to the outskirts of Moscow under automatic military access, would they really just not be able to do anything to Russians there and then regardless of how much they willed it?  Seems to be too big of a break in suspension of disbelief to me.

Why would Germany have access to Russian territory in the first place? Unless they're allied, in which case they shouldn't be able to declare war.
Suspension of disbelief would already be broken by millions of Germans being allowed near Moscow for a war against Finland.

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on June 09, 2016, 03:17:35 AM
Suspension of disbelief would already be broken by millions of Germans being allowed near Moscow for a war against Finland.
They can't all fit near the Finnish border.  :whistle:

DGuller

But, seriously, I'm about to put this game away and wait for a patch.  There are just a bit too many game-breaking bugs or design decisions at the moment.  Having no control over your borders, having clusterfuck borders after some countries capitulate, an AI that just can't figure out how to attack across the straits, it's just so many things that are obviously not working right.  My guess is that this game would be a lot more finished if D-Day happened on September 6.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2016, 09:25:40 AM
But, seriously, I'm about to put this game away and wait for a patch.  There are just a bit too many game-breaking bugs or design decisions at the moment.  Having no control over your borders, having clusterfuck borders after some countries capitulate, an AI that just can't figure out how to attack across the straits, it's just so many things that are obviously not working right.  My guess is that this game would be a lot more finished if D-Day happened on September 6.
First Paradox game then?
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 09, 2016, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2016, 09:25:40 AM
First Paradox game then?
I think Paradox as of late has actually cleaned up their act when it comes to game releases, and no longer released games in their alpha or beta stage.  But with HOI IV, and from what it sounds like, Stellaris, they took a big step back.

The Brain

"Waah! I want a finished product! Waah!" :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

So...does the naval combat suck?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2016, 10:43:45 AM
So...does the naval combat suck?

hard to tell because it's really hard to figure out what's going on in naval combat
Civis Romanus Sum