News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Josephus, January 24, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I started downloading Stellaris through my phone by logging  into steam so it's even easier then that. And happy ...prelated? Birthday!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

Is there a way to add newly arriving divisions (shipped from Italy to Albania) to the army that is currently in the area aside from removing/re-adding the army?

The first Italian carrier will be completed in 6 months, and I've already shifted to the carrier doctrine line.  I'm sure THAT will go well.  Day 1 of the Yugoslavian war: First Italian carrier sunk. 

E: oh shit I should probably build planes for it. DOH

Josephus

Tutorial is fine but a lot of it is "RTFW" (read the fuckin wiki). I wish there was a good old fashioned manual. I get the basics so far, but there's a lot i'm missing. My tutorial invasion of Ethiopia went well for a while but then for some reason my troops stopped and I had to manually select and move them to Addis Ababa. Not sure why.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Played as Sweden.  Germany DOWed me, captured Denmark, and then attempted to attack me across the strait.  And attempted again.  And again.  And again.  After three years, I got bored.

frunk

Played through a couple of years as Germany last night.  Took me about an hour to get the initial set up down going in cold.  I think I could knock it out now in 10-20 minutes.  Compare that to HOI 3 where after several play throughs it still took 2+ hours to get everything set up for a country.  So that's good.

Fiddling with production lines is surprisingly fun.  Sending volunteers to the Spanish Civil War is pretty neat too, although it already shows how inept the AI is.  I raced to Madrid, took it without difficulty and performed a couple encirclements with 2 divisions.

DGuller

Yeah, AI is brain-dead, that much is already clear.

Josephus

Yeah, nuff said about the AI the better.
On another note, even though technically, this game is simpler, theres just so much going on, it is hard to get a grip on it (and I've played a grand total of like one hour :lol:). It's interface and set up is different than most other Pdox games before it.

I agree with this bit from this reviewer:

So if you're tempted by the idea of HoIIV, you need to know this. Simply learning this game's absolute basics, like equipping divisions of infantry with guns and sending them somewhere to fight, is an ordeal. Getting further than that is going to take some serious work.

http://kotaku.com/hearts-of-iron-iv-the-kotaku-review-1780258434
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Richard Hakluyt

The AI seems to be very conservative, resting its forces a lot, waiting for cumbersome battle plans to max out and so on. That is not necessarily bad (it is what WW2 France would do) but it can be too easily exploited by the human player making a dash for Madrid or whatever.

DGuller

In my second game as Brazil, my offense against Venezuela stalled, because I vastly underestimated their army size.  They captured a couple of my provinces, and then I dug in, being numerically overwhelmed by about 2:1.  Thankfully, Venezuelans were cooperative enough to wait for more than a year while I was crash-building and researching tactical bombers and all the doctrines.  They helped quite a bit when they finally came online, and Venezuela was no more.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 07, 2016, 09:55:45 AM
That is not necessarily bad (it is what WW2 France would do)

These strike me as contradictory statements :P

Maurice Gamelin should not be the standard for anything but gross incompetence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Why do some of my army divisions insist on suddenly moving back to the old country without any apparent rhyme or reason?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2016, 05:15:14 PM
Why do some of my army divisions insist on suddenly moving back to the old country without any apparent rhyme or reason?
You need add barrier troops to the unit template.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2016, 05:15:14 PM

Holidays? :D
Civis Romanus Sum

Solmyr

It's on sale on Wingamestore for $29.30. Worth it?

frunk

Quote from: Solmyr on June 08, 2016, 08:07:56 AM
It's on sale on Wingamestore for $29.30. Worth it?

I like it so far.  Land combat is about the same as HOI 3 except with easier controls for fronts/plans.  The AI is moronic, but it is easy to handicap yourself and use the same AI to command your troops.  As I mentioned above factory management is pretty interesting.  Air management is much improved from HOI 3 with assigning aircraft to missions in large areas.  At the start of the general war my western fighters got completely shredded in the first month, and the interface made it obvious and exciting to have such a problem.

I haven't dug into naval matters much.  I tried sending out my subs to do convoy raiding but I couldn't really tell if they were doing much.  I don't think I was doing it quite right.