News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Syt, April 09, 2020, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Those too, but I don't know how much e.g. logistics has changed since he made them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

how did it work for you Habs?

Habbaku

I got distracted and didn't buy it.  :lol:

I still have it on my wishlist and will definitely pounce on the next decent sale, though. The game continues to call to me and I can't see myself not at least trying it on SP.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

I found it frustrating. I suck at most things, games included. but especially this one.
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 09, 2021, 08:15:00 PM
I found it frustrating. I suck at most things, games included. but especially this one.

Yeah I felt disconnected from the mechanics, got bored, and gave up after single-digit hours.

crazy canuck

There is certainly a learning curve.  It is not a simplistic Civilizations type game.  But if you do get past the learning curve - which will take more than single digit hours - it is a very rewarding game. 

I suppose it should come with a disclaimer.

celedhring

Also, depending on how you roll the dice the beginning of the game can be ROUGH.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2021, 01:02:56 PM
Also, depending on how you roll the dice the beginning of the game can be ROUGH.

Not only rough, but there is no one play style that can work.  Everything changes depending on what you start with.  I think that is probably what gets new players.  There is a need to have a pretty good understanding the the mechanics right at the start.

PDH

Fun game to learn, I did so by diving in and failing for a few games before I really started to read the descriptions, times to build, workers and pop, etc.

Problem is that when things settle down it really can be a drag with long AI times between turns, not much to do for several turns, etc.  The mid-game slog is here as well.

Still, I think it is a very good game and quite fun to play.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Yeah, the game needs some optimization to speed up the AI.  I broke down and bought a faster rig to help solve the problem.  :D

PDH

As with many 4X games the fun of the initial period is great - just the various starts talked about above wildly change strategies.  The initial set up and expansion makes this able to be replayed for now.  The designer needs to do something about AI turns.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Decent update late last week - it does seem as if the AI turns are moving more rapidly now.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

Btw, there's an expansion coming to add ocean worlds. Though from the text it seems more of an abstracted way of dealing with it?

QuoteDescription:

For a long time the Planet Generation of Shadow Empire was limited to dry Planets and Planets with relatively small bodies of water. Now all is possible. You can create second Earths and even Waterworlds. Planets with many islands, or just a few continents. The new maps being generated with Oceania DLC change the feel and ambiance of the game completely. But it also changes the gameplay a lot and will make you experience a different style of game.

On top of this: the existing land-based Traders have gotten a more organised cousin with the sea-based Traders, who are known as Maritime Trade Houses (MTHs). The MTHs will allow you to explore the Oceans and secure Transport Contracts to invade and/or keep logistics flowing between different continents or islands. The MTH are of a very mercantile nature and it is also possible to acquire their stock. Once a shareholder you can use Policy Meetings with the MTH to influence their attitudes and Dividend payments.

Features:

With Oceania the Procedural Planet Generation can now generate much more diverse Planets
Gaia Planet Class now available
Thalassa Planet Class now available
Proteus Planet Class now available
Fontus Planet Class now available
Maritime Trade House (MTH) mechanics
MTH Stock-trading, Policy Meetings, Dividends & Auctions
MTH Transport, Explore and Makeshift Port Contracts
MTH Naval warfare for sea supremacy
Naval logistical points allow amphibious invasions and transfers
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

For anyone interested, DasTactic has started a new tutorial series for this based on the latest open beta which should be the last one before the next official patch.

—Stephen Jay Gould