News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Starfield from Bethesda - coming 11/11/22

Started by Syt, June 13, 2021, 12:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm pretty sure I'll play this game eventually, but I'm going to wait until the mod-scene is strong :)

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 09, 2023, 01:55:20 PMI'm pretty sure I'll play this game eventually, but I'm going to wait until the mod-scene is strong :)

Probably not a bad idea.  The clothes and NPCs are pretty hideous looking, though not as hideous as the Oblivion ones.

Mod tools are coming and the aesthetics of the game will improve vastly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2023, 01:52:00 PMI'm indifferent to a Star Wars mod, but think that this would be a great system for a Firefly mod.
:cheers:  :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

I've been playing this over xCloud and now GeforceNow on my Steam Deck and it looks and plays wonderfully.

The gameplay itself is actually pretty compelling. Just about 12 or 13 hours in. I think the sci-fi setting for Bethesda games scratches an itch for me that nothing else has yet. 

I'll probably keep playing until my month sub to Microsoft Game Pass ends and then I'll buy it on Steam later this year on sale so I can restart the game properly with mods.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

So how does that work? The steam deck is not powerful enough to run it, I suppose... so you pay a subscription to xCloud or GeforceNow (how much is that) and stream it?

Could you use mods?

I know Starfield mods are in their infancy yet, but still. A lot of my PC gaming is modded, but I continue being tempted to buy a Steam deck...

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2023, 02:39:15 PMSo how does that work? The steam deck is not powerful enough to run it, I suppose... so you pay a subscription to xCloud or GeforceNow (how much is that) and stream it?

Could you use mods?

I know Starfield mods are in their infancy yet, but still. A lot of my PC gaming is modded, but I continue being tempted to buy a Steam deck...

I bought Game Pass for a month and I have an existing GeForce Now founder's subscription ($5 a month) that I use for random games, very useful for Steam Deck. And apparently now you can play Game Pass games over GeForce Now.

Unsure over mods but I don't think you can use them with the Game Pass (xCloud) version. I intend to buy the Steam version of the game on sale later in the year of next year and use all the mods then.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

I have been using a grephics and a ui mód with the game pass version. Mod files go to Documents so game pass isn't a barrier.

Jacob

That's cool.

Personally I'm not going to use game pass, I'm more curious about using mods and getting good performance on the Steam Deck.

The Minsky Moment

I tried out geforcenow and had good experiences with it. Great service for the games it supports. But I don't think it supports big mod list games - i.e. the base game works but you can't permanently install mods.  I thought gamepass had the same issue for streaming (as opposed to installs which use your machine specs to run).     I've gone back to using Shadow which is hideously expensive (and a bit slower than the top geforce tier) but works on lots of platforms including a chrome brower, and does save some money in never having to upgrade my laptop specs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

I do have to say, now that I've played a bit more (my toon is level 12 now) that the quests in this game are much better, and the NPCs much more interesting and deep, than anything I've played to date. 

Maybe it is verging on great in my estimation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

My favourute one I think have been the research station phasing back and forth between two alternative realities.

celedhring

Between this and BG3 I wish I had time for games right now :(

Josquius

How performance for people?
I heard a lot of stuff how it was specially made for one of the big two graphics cards and would be crap on the other.

QuoteI tried out geforcenow and had good experiences with it. Great service for the games it supports. But I don't think it supports big mod list games - i.e. the base game works but you can't permanently install mods.  I thought gamepass had the same issue for streaming (as opposed to installs which use your machine specs to run).     I've gone back to using Shadow which is hideously expensive (and a bit slower than the top geforce tier) but works on lots of platforms including a chrome brower, and does save some money in never having to upgrade my laptop specs.
Never subscribed but I've tried geforce now for streaming my games between my PC and android box.
It works better than steam link but still not perfect.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Josquius on September 17, 2023, 02:31:25 PMHow performance for people?
I heard a lot of stuff how it was specially made for one of the big two graphics cards and would be crap on the other.

Works totally fine on max settings on my 3060Ti.

Syt

Fired this up yesterday (after a party wipe in BG3 - fuck phase spiders :D ) and played to the point where you are to board the starship (i.e. half an hour or so?).

Was surprised that the game recommended to run at max detail at 2160p on "only" a 3080 nVidia card (thought it would require a 40xx card), and it runs quite well. But man, that's both a very concise intro so far and simultaneously the most "down to Earth" (as a lowly miner, at least not a prisoner this time) but still rushed "you're special!!" intro of any Bethesday game I've played, I think. :D

Confused by the character creator. Ridiculously detailed face modeling but very basic body morphing.

(BG3 was also weird - I can pick between several types of vagina or penis for my character, but only 4 different body models ... it doesn't have to go as detailed as some Skyrim mods that let you craft the exact desired shape of your labia/glans/anus, but there must be some middle ground somewhere? :lol: )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.