News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does it cost you to get into work?

Started by Brazen, January 20, 2014, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

My travel card has gone up to £205.10 a month for the privilege of an uncertain service, weekend closures, being rammed up against strangers' armpits and ending up somewhere I'd rather not be every day. On a good day it takes an hour to travel 13 miles.

How much does your commute cost you?

Tamas

Whatever 3 minutes worth of walking costs in calories. :P

I use the London Underground on some weekends. It can be horribly crowded.

But 205 for what? A tube trip (while also switching from one line to an other, but I guess that doesn't cost) seems to have cost 2.10 pounds off my topped-up Oyster card. Sounds like would be cheaper to use it like that instead of a monthly pass, or what?  :huh:

Zanza

About 60 Euro/month. Takes between 20-30 minutes.

Syt

Did we have this thread before? :unsure:

For €31.25 per month (price of the annual ticket, billed monthly) I can use all the public transport in Vienna as much as I like. 30-40 minutes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Depends on price of fuel, but one ~15 gallon tank a week.  Usually about 60.

Maladict

Don't know, my employer pays for my transport pass. I think it's about 4500 euros/year.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM
Probably before Transport For London prices went up by over the level of inflation yet again  :glare:

In London you can't afford to live in zones where you can afford to commute from, and you can't afford  to commute from zones you can afford to live n.

Brazen

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2014, 12:18:17 PM
But 205 for what? A tube trip (while also switching from one line to an other, but I guess that doesn't cost) seems to have cost 2.10 pounds off my topped-up Oyster card. Sounds like would be cheaper to use it like that instead of a monthly pass, or what?  :huh:
I live in zone 5 and work in zone 1 and use a train and two tube lines to get to work. You're probably only talking zone 1 to zone 1.

Sheilbh

About £75-80 a month. All buses everywhere. I live relatively centrally so I can bus everywhere, but also I live in South London so the Tube is about as real as Platform 9 3/4 <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I work from home  :lol:

Last time I had a desk job though, it was 94€ for a 1h commute, every month. 45 minutes of train into Barcelona and then 15min subway to the office.

MadBurgerMaker

About a tank and a half of gas per month, I guess.  Maybe a little less.  Call it $75-85 a month.

Gups

£908 for an annual travel card - only usable on my (heavy rail) route and a few others so have to pay for buses and the underground. I'm in zone 3.

You do get quite a saving for buying annually rather than monthly if you have the capital - especially if you do it in December just before the prices go up.

Josephus

Don't even want to think about it. I currently live 60kms from work, drive on one of the busiest stretches of highway in Canada.

I'd say $80/wk on gas.

+ I chose to take a toll road home, that's $50/wk.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on January 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM

For €31.25 per month (price of the annual ticket, billed monthly) I can use all the public transport in Vienna as much as I like. 30-40 minutes.

Yes, everytime London train prices go up Brazen makes one of those. She's looking for solace. She usually finds it.

My commute & girlfriend commute is super expensive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on January 20, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2014, 12:18:17 PM
I live in zone 5 and work in zone 1 and use a train and two tube lines to get to work. You're probably only talking zone 1 to zone 1.

that must be it, yes.

Switch to buses :P
My Streatham friends bus in to Waterloo for work :bleeding: