Possible California ballot iniative to raise the minimum wage to $10, then $12

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2014, 10:03:04 AM
Guys only have rock star

If she joined Kiss, she would only have to spend half as much time getting makeup applied before the show!  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 11:50:47 PM
Do you think the minimum wage, even as a starter wage, is a living wage?

Do you think that every job should be paid a "living wage" (i.e. $42,000 living wage / 2080 work-hours per year) = $20.20/hour?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2014, 04:50:45 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 11:50:47 PM
Do you think the minimum wage, even as a starter wage, is a living wage?

Do you think that every job should be paid a "living wage" (i.e. $42,000 living wage / 2080 work-hours per year) = $20.20/hour?

For a high school kid working in fast food for weekend spending money, that's a lot of drugs.

derspiess

I heard Urkel's gonna announce tonight that he's raising the minimum wage for federal contractors to a little over $10 to push Congress to follow suit and increase it across the board.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I have a hard time believing there are currently federal contractors making less than 10 clams an hour.

MadImmortalMan

That won't have much effect. Most federal jobs are already at least that much. Even contracted ones. They dictate what the pay should be when dispensing the contracts.

Edit: Well there you go, Yi.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Hope it passes in California. I think the $15 is too high but raising it to $10 and eventually to $12 would be good.

QuoteI have a hard time believing there are currently federal contractors making less than 10 clams an hour.
Does that include the people who clean government buildings?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I think minimum wage is a perfect type of policy for states to do as they wish.

Oregon wants to raise it $20?  Fill those goddamn boots!  Alabama wants to abolish it?  Why the fuck not?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2014, 04:28:06 PM
Hope it passes in California. I think the $15 is too high but raising it to $10 and eventually to $12 would be good.

What is the thinking that makes one too hot and one just right?

QuoteDoes that include the people who clean government buildings?

Surely.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2014, 04:23:48 PM
I have a hard time believing there are currently federal contractors making less than 10 clams an hour.

That was my first thought.  I guess it's a symbolic move.  I'm expecting him to announce a buttload of other executive orders, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

I guess it's a symbolic move.

Yes, that's what it is. He's trying to be out in front as an example on the issue.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2014, 04:29:36 PMWhat is the thinking that makes one too hot and one just right?
No real reason. I don't have any stats for it, though I think I read that if the minimum wage had kept pace with inflation it'd be around $10 which sounds about right. The campaign for a $15 living wage is doubling it which is too rich for my blood.

I've no issue with a living wage - I think the idea that what people mean is that it covers raising children or 'educational expenses' is absurd. It reminds me of the Tory councillor who thought that £100k was a standard middle class wage. Lots of solidly middle class people struggle with that. A living wage should cover rent, transport and subsistence expenses and it should be higher than what you would get on unemployment benefits.

I generally support the UK living wage proposal (which is voluntarily paid by many major companies and governments) which is to raise the minimum wage from £6.31 an hour to £7.65 and £8.80 in London. Those figures are calculated by thinktanks and, in London, the council based on actual statistics. $15 sounds like it was picked because it's a nice number. Personally I also think there should still be different rates for teenagers.

Also from a British perspective the number of workers on the minimum wage has been increasing since it was introduced. I also think prosecuting businesses who pay under the minimum wage would have more effect on immigration than most of the stunts the parties are announcing.

QuoteSurely.
Okay so I'd guess over all Federal buildings there'll be at least a few thousand who'll benefit.
Let's bomb Russia!