No Shutdown: Congress Rolls Out $1.1T Spending Bill

Started by 11B4V, January 14, 2014, 03:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

:huh: Shocking

No Shutdown: Congress Rolls Out $1.1T Spending Bill

Bipartisan measure expected to pass easily
(Newser) – After weeks of late nights, House and Senate negotiators believe they have hammered out a bipartisan spending bill that will ensure a year free from government shutdown dramas. There will be no shutdown," says Senate Appropriations Committee chair Barbara Mikulski. "The fact is, is that this is a strong bipartisan bill, and it is a bicameral bill." The bill covers discretionary spending throughout fiscal 2014, ensuring the government remains open until at least October 1.

The time frame to pass the mammoth $1.1 trillion bill is tight, but both parties are keen to avoid another shutdown, Politico notes. "I'm on board," says Alabama Sen. RIchard Shelby, the top Republican on the Appropriations Committee. "It's not everything anybody wanted, but we've been working hard at it, and it will lead us, hopefully, to regular order."

Rep. Tom Cole, an Oklahoma Republican, says he expects a majority of lawmakers from both parties to back the measure. "Everybody can find something to complain about—legitimately so," he tells the Washington Post. "But from the Republican standpoint, gosh, this is $164 billion less than Bush's last discretionary budget, so that's pretty good progress in cutting spending."
    The bill eases the sequester spending cuts, providing just over $1 trillion to federal agencies and another $92 billion for overseas operations for a total of $1.1 trillion, marking the first time discretionary spending has fallen over four years since the Korean War, according the House Appropriations Committee chairman Hal Rogers.
    Federal workers will get a 1% raise under the bill, which provides fresh cash for President Obama's push to expand pre-kindergarten education and contains no language that would block ObamaCare. The measure slashes Homeland Security funding by $336m, with most of the cuts at the TSA.
    The measure also contains dozens of policy riders, including a continued ban on transferring Gitmo detainees, prevention of funding for a ban on incandescent light bulbs, and new restrictions on aid to Egypt, the Hill finds.

http://www.newser.com/story/180642/no-shutdown-congress-rolls-out-11t-spending-bill.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

I'm presently surprised, but why can't they pass a bill for the whole year instead of just up to October?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2014, 07:58:28 AM
I'm presently surprised, but why can't they pass a bill for the whole year instead of just up to October?

Cause that's when the fiscal year ends.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Amazing, finally, a budget was actually passed for a year! I think this is the first in five or six years.

derspiess

Finally having an actual budget: good.

Easing the sequester spending cuts: bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2014, 11:30:23 AM
Finally having an actual budget: good.

Easing the sequester spending cuts: bad.

How do you feel about the incandescent bulb rider?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2014, 11:32:36 AM
How do you feel about the incandescent bulb rider?
I'm glad it failed.  How will I maintain my EZ-Bake Oven if it had passed? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

The ban on incandescent light bulbs never made much sense to me.  What market failure is being corrected, and with such an inflexible regulation?

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 14, 2014, 12:21:44 PM
The ban on incandescent light bulbs never made much sense to me.  What market failure is being corrected, and with such an inflexible regulation?

Meh, one more way the US will be out of step with the rest of the civilized world. 

derspiess

I was sold on the cost savings of CFC bulbs without the ban.  I use them for most of my lighting, but for some situations they're crap compared to incandescent.  I'd move on to LED for nearly all my lighting if the price got more reasonable. 

How much federal money did we spend to bring that $30 light bulb to market? :bleeding:

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2014, 01:39:51 PM

Meh, one more way the US will be out of step with the rest of the civilized world.
Thank Binky that one of the ways that the US is out of step is that it doesn't impose nonsensical and inflexible regulations when there is no market failure to be corrected!  Even better that you acknowledge this.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2014, 01:43:57 PM

I was sold on the cost savings of CFC bulbs without the ban.  I use them for most of my lighting, but for some situations they're crap compared to incandescent.  I'd move on to LED for nearly all my lighting if the price got more reasonable. 

How much federal money did we spend to bring that $30 light bulb to market? :bleeding:

I use CFC bulbs too, mainly for lights that I have on for a longer time, but for others also. For some lights that are just used for a few seconds and won't have time to warm up, like a stairway light, I still use the incandescent bulbs since CFCs aren't as durable for quick on and off use. I do find that some CFCs have an odd light, that some colors like of clothes will look a bit different in CFC vs incandescent, sometimes very different.

I'm neutral on the ban one way or the other, but probably glad the ban was removed. I don't think it's necessary.