Main Menu

Anglos = barbarians

Started by viper37, January 12, 2014, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2014, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on January 15, 2014, 07:06:53 AM
the poor showing of American militias in 1812.

Pakenham might disagree with that.

QuoteIn 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

As the song itself notes, that battle wasn't in 1812.  ;)

The war opened, in 1812, with a series of defeats of US forces (including militia).

Figured he was talking about the war.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well obviously you have to exclude those under Jackson.  They were pretty badass but they also did not really behave like militia (going home after a few months and so forth).  But in general the war exposed the militia system as a joke, it would never be relied on again in a war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on January 15, 2014, 07:06:53 AM
the poor showing of American militias in 1812.

QuoteIn 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

I did specify "1812", not the "War of 1812", for a reason. :contract:

Although even if they were operating away from their home state, the Militia at New Orleans were technically still within the USA; I assume a chunk of them were raised locally as well, although I haven't studied that particular OoB.

Besides, as has been pointed out, New Orleans is more of a study in the quality of leadership than of the soldiers involved. [ :glare: at Pakenham]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on January 15, 2014, 11:32:50 AM
Although even if they were operating away from their home state, the Militia at New Orleans were technically still within the USA; I assume a chunk of them were raised locally as well, although I haven't studied that particular OoB.

Besides, as has been pointed out, New Orleans is more of a study in the quality of leadership than of the soldiers involved. [ :glare: at Pakenham]

The war in the South pretty much went like this:

The militias would attack the Native Americans and they would keep losing until Jackson would show up and win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Agelastus on January 15, 2014, 11:32:50 AM
I did specify "1812", not the "War of 1812", for a reason. :contract:

Thought it might be one of those Brit-speak things where you omit certain words. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2014, 10:51:13 AM
11,000 Brits attacking 4,000-some Americans.

I'll be damned.  You right, I wrong.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 11:44:16 AM

I'll be damned.  You right, I wrong.

Yeah, the Americans were badly outnumbered, but Jackson had chosen an excellant defensive position.  He basically couldn't be outflanked, so the British either had to launch a frontal assault or give up on advancing.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on January 15, 2014, 09:48:59 PM
Yip fails. :weep:
Weep for the fact that he didn't make a bet before he found out he was wrong.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

The meatloaf stuffed with popcorn chicken and covered with hot sauce sounds good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 10:24:32 AM
Nawlins was (IIRC), 8,000 Brits advancing across marshy ground to attack 14,000 Americans entrenched with artillery.  Jackson chose his position well, and Packenham was stupid to attack, but I wouldn't call it a great feat of arms.  More of a turkey shoot.

Everything you describe is a great feat of arms. Assembling superior numbers, choosing a good defensible position, and getting the enemy to attack you despite the marshy terrain they had to cross, walking themselves into the wrong end of a turkey shoot, is exactly the definition of a great feat of arms in my book.

By the way, where does the turkey shoot reference comes from? Did anybody massacred a lot of janissaries or something?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 10:49:47 AM
Please elaborate.

Near 1 to 3 odds? Perfect ambush.
Only retards believe in Sun Tzu.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on January 17, 2014, 01:16:01 AM
By the way, where does the turkey shoot reference comes from? Did anybody massacred a lot of janissaries or something?

My guess is it comes from the old American rural practice of staging shooting competitions in which the person who shot a turkey tied to the ground got to take the turkey home.

See the movie "Sergeant York" for an example.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers