News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anglos = barbarians

Started by viper37, January 12, 2014, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 10:37:12 AM
It takes you three hours to get to "most of the way to Norfolk" from Richmond?  You drive like old people fuck.
I didn't drive.  He insisted on doing that, too, and his route was to take 64 from Richmond to Williamsburg, get on some side road, and then take a ferry across the James.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 07:59:50 AM
In December I saw Jamestown from the James River but didn't actually go there. :Embarrass: :frusty:

I was in Richmond visiting my brother and my parents decided at the last minute to butt in on the trip.  That day we had planned to go to Jamestown, Williamsburg, etc. my parents INSISTED on going to some diner they saw on The Food Network that took THREE HOURS to get to (it was like most of the way to Norfolk) and just had soul food.  It was good, but my Yankee parents don't understand that in a southern city like Richmond there are tons of places you can get good soul food at.  As such there was no time to actually do anything meaningful that day.

I.  HATE.  OLD.  PEOPLE.
It takes you three hours to get to "most of the way to Norfolk" from Richmond?  You drive like old people fuck.

In an experienced manner?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 10:46:17 AM
I didn't drive.  He insisted on doing that, too, and his route was to take 64 from Richmond to Williamsburg, get on some side road, and then take a ferry across the James.

He was just trying to spend some quality time with his kid. Give the man a break.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Sounds to me like you need to step up and be the man.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

How many times did you check your oil on that trip?  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 01:33:29 PM
You're probably right, but I didn't have my car with me when I was in Richmond so that's my excuse this time. :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:57:46 PM
How many times did you check your oil on that trip?  :hmm:
We were in his Honda Odyssey and according to him the Odyssey is perfect so I'm assuming it changes its own oil somehow.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 03:19:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 01:33:29 PM
You're probably right, but I didn't have my car with me when I was in Richmond so that's my excuse this time. :cool:
Well, I suppose we can excuse you, just this once.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Alt-Hist: The French wins the French-Indian War, the whole of North America becomes French speaking.
What would have been different in that timeline?
The Revolutionary War? Would the French colonists side with the monarchy during the French revolution? Napoleon?
WW1 and 2?
War on Terror?
Would Hollywood speak French? Would French be the new Lingua Franca? ????

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

:hmm: Why would the English Colonists stop speaking English?  They still speak French in Quebec, dude. :)

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 08:11:10 PM
:hmm: Why would the English Colonists stop speaking English?  They still speak French in Quebec, dude. :)

Hey, I made this scenario. It is MINE.
My precious.

Maximus

The French aren't as tolerant as the English.

Admiral Yi

:lol:  20 years of nuns smacking us with rulers for speaking English in class would do the trick.

Agelastus

Quote from: Maximus on January 13, 2014, 08:18:05 PM

The French aren't as tolerant as the English.

But the French have a terrible record of colonial population expansion compared to the English and English as a language (well, its' predecessor Old English anyway) has a history of not being absorbed by the language of a conqueror even when a complete elite replacement occurs. What's more the suppression of dialects in France itself didn't occur until the late nineteenth century and the era of universal conscription so I find it hard to believe that the French could launch a successful campaign against the English language in North America in the late eighteenth century.

I think Siege's "Alt-Hist" is going to see the French kicked out of the east coast by a general Anglo revolt, and that within only a few years.

What happens after that, since the French should be able to hold on to the Mississippi river and surrounding regions is the interesting question.

Do the French finally manage to get their act together and export enough people to the area to balance the Anglos.?

Or does the area become the French equivalent of "Mexican" Texas and California due to immigration from the Engish speaking part of North America? With similar results?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Siege

So, colonial population expansion is the answer why French, Spanish, and Portuguese ex-colonies are so poor today as compare to the British's?

Is there a source comparing colonial population expansion?
I can't find one in google.