U.S. Navy mistakenly sends how-to memo

Started by 11B4V, January 09, 2014, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Opppppps  :lol:

QuoteU.S. Navy mistakenly sends how-to memo on dodging FOIA requests
Talk about a misstep. The U.S. Navy accidentally sent out a memo that spells out various ways to duck and dodge Freedom of Information Act requests to a local NBC News reporter.

Politico reported that Scott MacFarlane, an NBC 4 reporter who works in Washington, D.C., had asked the Navy for certain documents. But he never expected as part of his FOIA request to receive an internal Navy note that details how to dismiss his request as a "fishing expedition."

Mr. MacFarlane had sought information related to the Navy Yard shooting in September and had asked that all fees beyond $15 be waived, Politico reported.

The surprise Navy memo said to negotiate with Mr. MacFarlane over his request and characterize it as a waste of time. It also said, Politico reported, to speak about the cost of fulfilling the request as a means of pressuring Mr. MacFarlane to "narrow the scope" of his FOIA. The memo specifically states: "Again, 'fishing expedition.' Just because they are media doesn't mean the memos shed light on specific government activities."

The U.S. Navy apologized for the memo.

In a tweet, the Navy said: "#USNavy regrets the content of an internal email sent to @nbcwashington cc @politico @Gawker."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/us-navy-mistakenly-sends-how-to-memo-dodging-foia/#ixzz2pxCWtPyS
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

They should have asked the Chair force people in the building to help them out in operating their emails.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Siege

That was an intentional leak to let the people know what the Obama administration is forcing the military to do.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on January 09, 2014, 09:57:06 PM
That was an intentional leak to let the people know what the Obama administration is forcing the military to do.
What are you talking about?  The military invented this sort of skullduggery.  They can justify their misdeeds by pretending that national security is at stake.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

2 drinks, everyone. 
Experience bij!

Tamas

Are you even allowed to talk so much shit about your Commander in Chief?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2014, 05:14:00 AM

He's not saying anything against Xi Jinping.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2014, 05:57:36 AM

He's not saying anything against Xi Jinping.

good point

Siege

Free country. Or used to be.

I can talk politics all day as long as I don't do it in uniform or in a way my opinions could be constructed as the Army's opinion.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on January 10, 2014, 08:11:12 AM
I can talk politics all day as long as I don't do it in uniform
but we don't know if you're in uniform or not :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2014, 09:09:12 AM
I can talk politics all day as long as I don't do it in uniform
but we don't know if you're in uniform or not :)

:perv:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 09, 2014, 10:50:43 PM

2 drinks, everyone.
Good God, half of Languish will be six feet under before the week is out.  :(

crazy canuck

Free country. Or used to be.

out of boozze again.  I woujld goes ouut to gets moree butt drinkiig and drving is baaaad