This Country Was Named The Greatest Threat To World Peace

Started by garbon, January 03, 2014, 11:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/greatest-threat-world-peace-country_n_4531824.html

QuoteThere's really no way to sugarcoat it: The rest of world believes that the United States is the country that poses the greatest threat to world peace, beating out all challengers by a wide margin.

This is the conclusion of a massive world opinion poll conducted by Win/Gallup International and released at the close of 2013. The poll, which was first conducted in 1977, asked over 66,000 thousand people across 68 countries this year a variety of questions about the world, including which country they would most like to call home, whether or not the world is becoming a generally better place and which country poses the greatest threat to world peace.

The U.S. was voted the biggest threat by far, garnering 24 percent of the vote. Pakistan was a very distant second with 8 percent, followed by China (6 percent) and Afghanistan (5 percent).

Perhaps not surprisingly, Americans had a slightly different view of the international troublemakers, naming Iran the top threat. Yet while Afghanistan garnered the second-most votes among American respondents, they also voted the U.S. among the most threatening nations -- in an unenviable veritable tie for third place with North Korea.

Interestingly, the U.S. was also the country to which people around the world would most like to move, if given the opportunity. Also, close to 50 percent of respondents expressed optimism about the future, reporting that they are more positive about 2014 than they were for 2013.

"Despite an unstable economic situation, our happiness index is extremely high all over the world except in Europe," Jean-Marc Leger, President of WIN/Gallup International Association, said in a statement. "Moreover people think that 2014 will be better than 2013. Optimism is back in the world."

:showoff:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Well it's true.... That isn't to say whether breaking world peace is justified or not but the US is there country most likely to do it
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

No doubt that of all the countries in the world, the US is more likely than any other to get into any particular conflict. Kind of goes along with being the world policeman.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

The entire question relies on a false premise. That there is such a thing as world peace, that there is a way of breaking it (presumably leading to a world war) and that a country must be the greates threat.

This is a form of begging the question. How the hell can a regional power which willing and capable at best of causing some regional disorder be a threat to law, order and good neighborliness on the far side of the world? It can't. Presuming that there must be a Napoleonic France or Wilhemlite Germany or NAZI Germany or Soviet Union means that whoever tops the poll must be just like the NAZIs.

This poll is stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

I read your post three times and I still don't get it Puff.

garbon

Yes an entire poll is stupid because it has a question you don't like.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2014, 09:47:37 AM

Vike was trying to defend you guys; he didn't realize you were proud of being #1.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2014, 11:15:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2014, 09:47:37 AM

Vike was trying to defend you guys; he didn't realize you were proud of being #1.

Well I think he's right, of course - that there aren't really many others that could aspire to being a world menace as they don't have the reach...and then of course that bit about peace.

Don't think that means the entire poll with all of its questions is worthless.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2014, 03:38:25 AM
I read your post three times and I still don't get it Puff.

It's like asking which languishite is the most like Hannibal Lecter. The question assumes that at least one of us is like hannibal lecter, the implied result of the poll is that the winner is a serial killier or likely to be one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

A country slaughtering its own citizens = peace. A country intervening to stop the slaughter = breaching the peace.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

alfred russel

I bet if the question was, "What country does the most to promote international peace?", the US would also finish first.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
I bet if the question was, "What country does the most to promote international peace?", the US would also finish first.

I'd take that bet. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.