Started by garbon, January 03, 2014, 11:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2014, 05:08:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
I bet if the question was, "What country does the most to promote international peace?", the US would also finish first.

I'd take that bet. :)

If the question was "which do you agree with more: The US is a threat to world peace or The US promotes world peace" I agree we would probably come up short.

However, there are ~200 countries in the world, and we are the only superpower. There are non trivial pockets of pro Americanism in almost every country. If the question is left open ended regarding promoting peace, I think we take the plurality. There isn't an obvious alternative answer for the anti american majority to coalesce around.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Scipio

I have to say something I would never have thought I could say:

I agree with Viking.

World peace? It's never been.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on January 04, 2014, 09:26:51 PM
I have to say something I would never have thought I could say:

I agree with Viking.

World peace? It's never been.

Having a Beard is awesome.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Kleves on January 04, 2014, 01:53:46 PM
A country slaughtering its own citizens = peace. A country intervening to stop the slaughter = breaching the peace.  :hmm:
Obviously. I mean when I hear 'world peace' I think about wars between states not necessarily what's going on within those states.

QuoteWorld peace? It's never been.
It's also never been better.

The past twenty years or so have been amazing. Probably over a billion lifted out of poverty, a huge decline in war whether civil or inter-state and still increasing life-expectancy.

Edit: Also isn't this a bit 'man bites dog'? I swear this poll happens every year with the same result.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Nobody has been lifted out of poverty.  Nobody can ever be lifted out of poverty.  If anyone were ever lifted out of poverty, then the organizations that exist to help the poor would lose funding.  Therefore, poverty will always exist and be fairly stable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Siege on January 05, 2014, 08:07:04 PM
Why is Israel not the number 1?

Because the polling wasn't limited to Muslim countries.