News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HDMI

Started by Monoriu, December 30, 2013, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I just bought an HDMI cable that connects the monitor with the computer video card.  The cable connects to both devices fine.  But when I switch the monitor's input to HDMI, it says "connecting" then "no signal".  I've tried rebooting, disconnecting then reconnecting the cable.  So far nothing works.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to change the settings, or reinstall the drivers?

Grey Fox

Have you also unplug the previous cable?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Tonitrus

Beyond the usual spiel of making sure the graphics card drivers are up to date...is there an input setting on the graphics card software that might need changing?

katmai

Mono what cable connection were you using prior?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

If you switched to an external video card, also make sure you've *disabled* the onboard video via BIOS.  Windows computers should auto-detect, but I've repaired a bunch of computers that had trouble caused by an IGP interfering with RAM or the external GPU itself (usually, the culprit is the IGP not releasing the allocated RAM).
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 30, 2013, 06:05:49 PM
If you switched to an external video card, also make sure you've *disabled* the onboard video via BIOS.  Windows computers should auto-detect, but I've repaired a bunch of computers that had trouble caused by an IGP interfering with RAM or the external GPU itself (usually, the culprit is the IGP not releasing the allocated RAM).

Thanks for this.  Will try.

Monoriu

Talked to the guy who sold me the cable.  He said that that particular cable brand doesn't really work with my kind of monitors.  He would give me another cable  :glare:

Liep

? I thought all HDMI cables were suppose to be the same... digital and all that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on December 31, 2013, 06:27:33 AM
? I thought all HDMI cables were suppose to be the same... digital and all that.

Who knows.  The shop said they tested an identical cable with a monitor that shared the same brand as mine.  Didn't work for them either. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on December 31, 2013, 06:27:33 AM

Yes, but sometimes you get handshaking issues.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

Changed to another HDMI cable.  Doesn't work.  Played around with BIOs settings.  Doesn't work.  I'm going to have to what I really don't want to do, namely, take both the monitor and computer to the shop for testing. 

Josquius

Don't you have a dvd player or somesuch about to test the monitor with?
██████
██████
██████