News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the military folks

Started by merithyn, December 23, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

So, this weekend, I got to watch Alcibades be sworn in as a Second Lieutenant in the US Army. It involved, as all things military do, a lot of pomp, circumstance, and rules. It was fun watching all of it go on, but as a civilian, it kind of left me confused on some of the protocol.

Alci told me that civilians don't salute officers, but who does? I mean, do retired military? Do those who opted out after five years? Does a Naval Seaman salute an Army Lieutenant? How does all of that work? And how do civilians show deference to an officer if they so choose to do so?

Also, there was a silver dollar given to the first person to salute the officers. Alci chose the person to whom he gave his coin, as did the other officers. How is that decided? At what point did it become "choose your person" from "the first person to do it"?

I'd ask Alci, but he and his not-fiance left yesterday, and this is a bit much to try to ask in texts. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Civilians just don't need to salute anyone.  Why would they?  Dunno about retired-- I think that's optional.

But across branches, enlisted men (and lower-ranked officers) are supposed to show military courtesy (salute) to officers.

When you get your 2LT bars, you choose who gives you your first salute-- it's considered an honor.  Often it's an NCO who is a family member or was a mentor.  A buddy of mine had his dad who was a retired Sergeant Major give him his first salute.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Maybe I'm just being Swedish but Americans saluting when not wearing a hat looks totally weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

swedish rifle 4 sale dropped once never fired full of ball bearings lololol
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Just make sure he doesn't get posted to Sicily.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2013, 10:24:04 AM
Civilians just don't need to salute anyone.  Why would they? 
There have been societies where that was expected/required, but historically we seem to have been enemies with them. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2013, 11:07:44 AM
Just make sure he doesn't get posted to Sicily.

I don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Expedition

QuoteAlcibiades began the conflict as one of the Athenian commanders, but was recalled to Athens to face trial and subsequently defected to Sparta.

merithyn

How does a civilian show the proper respect for an officer, then? I mean, assuming that they wanted to.

KRonn

If I remember right from my Navy days, sailors (marines also?) don't salute while in-doors but other services do.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

How does a civilian show the proper respect for an officer, then? I mean, assuming that they wanted to.

How do you show respect to people when you want to? Try doing the same when meeting officers. Also, what's the proper respect a civilian should show an officer?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

I would suggest saying "hey GI, me love you long time."

Caliga

:lol:

I now have 2 Live Crew stuck in my head.  THANKS.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: KRonn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:54 PM
If I remember right from my Navy days, sailors (marines also?) don't salute while in-doors but other services do.

Yeah, that came up, too. They had to do the dollar-salute ceremony outside after the big ceremony thingie was done.