News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CAR

Started by Darth Wagtaros, December 18, 2013, 08:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2013, 01:54:29 PM
I will recommend a Toyota truck with 4x4.

:yes:

At one point I had talked with my wife that once her vehicle is paid off (in another three years) I would probably look at getting a new vehicle, as my Tacoma should be 11 years old by then.

But now I'm thinking "why should I bother to get a new truck when this one is so good"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

I like my car, but its getting to the point where every six months I have to pay a few hundred (or more) to get something or other fixed.  I hear the Sonatas coming out are pretty kick ass, but they burnt their bridge with me. 

I had hoped to keep this car 10 years or so, and if I don't get a deal on a new one I may keep it until summer, assuming that wheel bearing doesn't go while I'm on the highway.
PDH!

Tonitrus

I want to trade in my 2008 FJ for the 2014 (and final model year)...but it's hard to justify a new vehicle when:

a. My current one runs just fine.
b. I won't be driving for much of next year (and after that, no more FJs  :( )

No other vehicles out there appeal to me in the slightest.  :glare:

lustindarkness

The Wife's soccer mom Highlander is very comfy, drives great, good gas mileage, seats 7 or can be used almost like a pick up truck with the seats down.

If you want good snow driving, go for a Subaru WRX STI :punk:.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 18, 2013, 04:55:21 PM
I want to trade in my 2008 FJ for the 2014 (and final model year)...but it's hard to justify a new vehicle when:

a. My current one runs just fine.
b. I won't be driving for much of next year (and after that, no more FJs  :( )

No other vehicles out there appeal to me in the slightest.  :glare:

I'm keeping mine 'till the wheels fall off. :wub:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

I don't fit inside Subarus.  :P

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 18, 2013, 04:52:31 PM
I like my car, but its getting to the point where every six months I have to pay a few hundred (or more) to get something or other fixed.  I hear the Sonatas coming out are pretty kick ass, but they burnt their bridge with me. 

I had hoped to keep this car 10 years or so, and if I don't get a deal on a new one I may keep it until summer, assuming that wheel bearing doesn't go while I'm on the highway.

Well then yes, that sounds like the time to get a new car.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2013, 04:58:50 PM

If you want good snow driving, go for a Subaru WRX STI :punk:.

The Forester is awesome for snow driving. I do cross-country skiing, and it has gone places my previous car would not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I want to buy a new car. I'd buy a minivan but my GF is totally adamant about driving that so I am looking at alternative.

I want to test drive the Chevy Orlanda(only available in Canada) and the new Kia Rondo. Maybe go bigger & take a look at the small SUVs.

I have no way to justify getting a pick-up :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 18, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

Optimas are mechanically almost identical to Sonatas, but Kias haven't been getting the same rep for being plagued by mechanical problems.  That would probably be a good bet for you if you're concerned about driving on ice, since the Optima tends to have a pretty high curb weight, at least as opposed to other midsize sedans- it'll take a lot more ice on the ground before you get stuck.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 18, 2013, 10:51:16 PM
I want to buy a new car. I'd buy a minivan but my GF is totally adamant about driving that so I am looking at alternative.

Mrs B is the same way.

She wants a big SUV to drive the kids around - trouble is that big SUVs cost a hell of a lot of money and get shitty gas mileage.

Brazen

I thought this thread was going to be about Central African Republic  <_<

dps

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 18, 2013, 08:40:44 AM
Thinking of trading in my 8 yr old Sonata next week.  Right now I'm interested in the Accord, the Camry, or the Mazder6.  Any thoughts? Will be new, not used.  2013 or 2014.

If you're firm that it has to be one of those three, don't get the Accord.  You'd probably be better off with the Camry than the Mazda long-term.

Beyond that, I'd suggest you look at a Nissan or Kia.  Also, if you're not dead-set against buying an American brand, a Ford.

KRonn

Wag, those cars you listed should be durable, reliable and low maint vehicles. I hear you on having to get your current car fixed too often now. I hung onto my Ford Explorer too long, eleven years, and it started needing some costly repairs like catalytic converters. But the car was still fine for me, rode well, comfortable, etc. I bought a Ford Escape in 2009 and that's been a very good car. Four cylinder with decent power to it, good in the snow and I really like it. Newer ones have more power and gas mileage has been increased nicely.