60% of those younger than 30 say the main cause of the ACW was States Rights

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2013, 09:35:43 AM
No legal constructs like "rights" or "powers" are inherent.

The entire basis of our country is that they are inherent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2013, 07:36:06 PMI seriously question this.  There were more small land owners here then in Europe, and they were certainly better off then their old world brethren, but it was still a rough job with irregular income.  Factory work in the US often gave decent pay that was delivered on time for easier and less dangerous work.  We often forget that before tractors were common farm labor was really hard work not to mention dangerous.  I had a great aunt who was widowed 8 times due to farm accidents.

I'm not convinced a 19th century farm is more dangerous than a 19th century factory.

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2013, 07:41:51 PMDon't want to pick on you, but there is a difference.  Powers can be removed without due process.  Rights can not.

Says who?

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 20, 2013, 08:55:01 PM
I was taught the difference between rights and powers was that powers are delegated and rights are inherent. Powers would then be delegated rights.

Says who?  Says the constitution.  Government powers can be removed with a stroke of a pen.  Individual rights cannot be so easily removed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2013, 04:12:24 PM

The entire basis of our country is that they are inherent.

Also, that rights are not legal constructs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

If Raz and Grumbler are on the same side of an argument, who can stand against?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2013, 04:12:24 PMThe entire basis of our country is that they are inherent.

Explain what practical effect that has versus them being legal constructs. If they are inherent, does that mean there is some way that I can inherently know exactly what rights I have? Or what they specifically entitle me to do? How do I know what my inherent rights are, and what their parameters are?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2013, 07:48:01 PM

Often Grumbler and Raz. Raz because he's crazy and grumbler because it's frequently hard to pin down exactly what he's arguing.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2013, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2013, 04:12:24 PMThe entire basis of our country is that they are inherent.

Explain what practical effect that has versus them being legal constructs. If they are inherent, does that mean there is some way that I can inherently know exactly what rights I have? Or what they specifically entitle me to do? How do I know what my inherent rights are, and what their parameters are?

The practical effect is that you can exercise these rights without a government.  If there were no government you'd still have these rights.  Governments can't grant these rights, they can only protect or take them away.  They are inherent in a person.  A power is a construct, a government has to create a power.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2013, 07:55:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2013, 07:48:01 PM

Often Grumbler and Raz. Raz because he's crazy and grumbler because it's frequently hard to pin down exactly what he's arguing.  :P

"One is a moron, the other's insane..."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2013, 07:57:55 PMThe practical effect is that you can exercise these rights without a government.  If there were no government you'd still have these rights.  Governments can't grant these rights, they can only protect or take them away.  They are inherent in a person.  A power is a construct, a government has to create a power.

Give me an example of one of these rights I can exercise without a government and how I would go about exercising it.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

He's right.  A right is meaningless unless you have a state that can coerce protection or respect for the right is universally internalized in the population.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2013, 08:10:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2013, 07:57:55 PMThe practical effect is that you can exercise these rights without a government.  If there were no government you'd still have these rights.  Governments can't grant these rights, they can only protect or take them away.  They are inherent in a person.  A power is a construct, a government has to create a power.

Give me an example of one of these rights I can exercise without a government and how I would go about exercising it.

Freedom of speech.  You can stand on an unclaimed island and scream your head off.

OttoVonBismarck

So to exercise these rights I need to be on an unclaimed and presumably uninhabited island? Humans are social animals by nature, what do I do if more realistically I live with or near other people and one of them informs me he will kill me if I say certain things that offend him?

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2013, 10:13:01 PM
So to exercise these rights I need to be on an unclaimed and presumably uninhabited island? Humans are social animals by nature, what do I do if more realistically I live with or near other people and one of them informs me he will kill me if I say certain things that offend him?

No, the unclaimed island is an example of a place without government (there aren't really many places on Earth without governments so examples tend to be odd).  The fact you can exercise the rights without a government means government does not grant them.  They are inherent.  Keeping people from killing you is protecting a right, not granting a right.