60% of those younger than 30 say the main cause of the ACW was States Rights

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Jesus Christ :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Came across this poll while surfing the net and found this statistic terribly depressing. It's an absolute indictment of the poor quality of education in this country, compounded by a willing disregard for the truth by many in the south who want to sugar coat the past so they can feel better about themselves and their ancestors. A simple reading of the Confederate constitution, the individual declarations of independence written by several southern states and the words of the Confederate founding fathers themselves prove that root cause of the war was slavery.

http://www.people-press.org/2011/04/08/civil-war-at-150-still-relevant-still-divisive/

QuoteThere is no consensus among the public about the primary cause of the Civil War, but more (48%) say that the war was mainly about states' rights than say it was mainly about slavery (38%). Another 9% volunteer that it was about both equally.

Young people are more likely than older Americans to say that the war's main cause was states' rights – 60% of those younger than 30 express this view, the highest percentage of any age group. Those 65 and older are the only age group in which more say that slavery, rather than states' rights, was the main cause of the Civil War (by 50% to 34%). While 48% of whites view states' rights was the war's main cause, so too do 39% of African Americans.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Nobody gives a fuck about the Civil War anymore Tim.  Nobody noticed during the 150th, even for things like Gettysburg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2013, 11:15:35 PM
Nobody gives a fuck about the Civil War anymore Tim.  Nobody noticed during the 150th, even for things like Gettysburg.
Thankfully the majority disagree with you.

QuoteMore than half of Americans (56%) say the Civil War is still relevant, according to the latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted March 30-April 3 among 1,507 adults. Nearly four-in-ten (39%) say the Civil War is important historically but has little current relevance.

Of course the majority opinion on the matter is immaterial to the truth, which is that the Civil War profoundly affects America to this day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2013, 11:25:45 PM

Thankfully my ass.  That war needs to get to the museum where it belongs.

And 56% is a pretty small percentage for an event that as recently as the 80s was practically a national obsession.  I am so glad it is starting to fade.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM
A simple reading of the Confederate constitution, their state constitutions and the words of the Confederate founding fathers themselves prove that root cause of the war was slavery.

Read for the 48%

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2013, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2013, 11:25:45 PM

Thankfully my ass.  That war needs to get to the museum where it belongs.

And 56% is a pretty small percentage for an event that as recently as the 80s was practically a national obsession.  I am so glad it is starting to fade.

:yes: :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

It was a contest between two different kinds of evil and the more tolerable kind of evil won.  USA!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

It was a war over the right of white people in southern states to own black people, as guaranteed by their states. So, in a sense, it was over state's rights (a meaningless phrase).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

KRonn

As a veteran of the Civil War myself, I sure hope that people still find the war relevant!

jimmy olsen

Languish truly is dead if a thread about the cause of the ACW gets just ten replies! :o

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I'd like to talk about the Spanish Civil War some more, personally.

The Spanish Civil War was neither civil, nor a war.  DISCUSS.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points