60% of those younger than 30 say the main cause of the ACW was States Rights

Started by jimmy olsen, December 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on December 20, 2013, 04:58:49 PM
And the mills in the UK ran on Southern cotton.

Right.  And sugar and tobacco were both huge export crops.  Whereas i don't think northern wheat was economical to export at the time and meat certainly wasn't before the advent of refrigerated shipping.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 05:10:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 20, 2013, 04:58:49 PM
And the mills in the UK ran on Southern cotton.

Right.  And sugar and tobacco were both huge export crops.  Whereas i don't think northern wheat was economical to export at the time and meat certainly wasn't before the advent of refrigerated shipping.

Well right there has to be some meat to the whole 'Federal Tax' conspiracy theory.  Of course the North was massively richer than the South and I am  pretty sure they could have found the pennies in the couch cushions to fund the Federal Government.  Hell just think of all the new tariffs and taxes they could have raised from the fact a new foreign country, that is going to be key trading partner, was just created just to the South of them.

Indeed the fact nobody in the government seemed particularly worried about this makes it fall kind of flat to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:16:22 PM
Well right there has to be some meat to the whole 'Federal Tax' conspiracy theory.  Of course the North was massively richer than the South and I am  pretty sure they could have found the pennies in the couch cushions to fund the Federal Government.

Which they did quite easily by floating debt during the war.

Not sure about that massively richer thing though.  My understanding is that per capita was higher in the south.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on December 20, 2013, 05:20:08 PM
Are you saying the ACW was not about states rights?

he's saying that states have powers, not rights.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 05:19:10 PM

Not sure about that massively richer thing though.  My understanding is that per capita was higher in the south.

The overwhelming majority of people in the south were small farmers or slaves so I find that unlikely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

States have no rights.  Human beings have rights.  States are arbitrary lines one draws in the dirt.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 05:19:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:16:22 PM
Well right there has to be some meat to the whole 'Federal Tax' conspiracy theory.  Of course the North was massively richer than the South and I am  pretty sure they could have found the pennies in the couch cushions to fund the Federal Government.

The South's per capita income was 73% that of the North in 1860.  Bateman and Weiss, A Deplorable Scarcity: The Failure of Industrialization in the Slave Economy p. 42  It was higher than the industrial Northeast, if you exclude slaves. If you treat slaves as intermediate capital goods, per capita income in the South exceeds that of the North, but that seems as  artificial as treating them as normal consumers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:56:38 PMThe overwhelming majority of people in the south were small farmers or slaves so I find that unlikely.

Would depend on how you define "per capita" as per Grumbler. I don't know what the right answer is but it would seem weird to me to consider per capita income with chattel as part of the divisor, do we divide total GDP by the number of humans + sheep + cattle + all other livestock to get our per capita GDP? Economically I think slaves were probably more comparable to livestock in terms of wage, than to full economic participants.

I don't know that, I'm not sure antebellum slave economics is easily understood or that society easily compared to the north using economic measures we mostly use when talking about our present day and more recent historical society.

But your point about small farms is stupid. Yeoman farmers have almost never been all that badly off, and they would certainly be better off than industrial wage earners in the 19th century who have no accumulated capital or real property. One of the big reasons everyone but the wealthiest in society were far richer in the colonies than in the British Isles is because tenant farmers were essentially nigh-unknown in the colonies while they were the norm back home. Tenant farmers and unskilled labor are almost never going to be wealthier than a property owning farmer when speaking in aggregate terms.

That's even looking to be true today, most small farmers that are still around now are pretty prosperous. The ones that weren't are long gone. I would assume back in the 50s/60s when unskilled labor was at its peak in terms of compensation maybe this wasn't the case. But I'll also note most poor farmers I've known were actually not land owners themselves. Lots of dirt poor farmers are actually leasers.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:58:05 PMStates have no rights.  Human beings have rights.  States are arbitrary lines one draws in the dirt.

Rights are a term of art more or less and just defined by law, so of course any legal entity can have rights. I guess you could argue they have "powers" which is a distinction without a difference. Most people way say States in the EU have specific rights in regard to their interactions with the greater Union, same as in the United States each State is entitled to two Senators to represent them for example.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 20, 2013, 07:11:24 PM

But your point about small farms is stupid. Yeoman farmers have almost never been all that badly off, and they would certainly be better off than industrial wage earners in the 19th century who have no accumulated capital or real property. One of the big reasons everyone but the wealthiest in society were far richer in the colonies than in the British Isles is because tenant farmers were essentially nigh-unknown in the colonies while they were the norm back home. Tenant farmers and unskilled labor are almost never going to be wealthier than a property owning farmer when speaking in aggregate terms.

I seriously question this.  There were more small land owners here then in Europe, and they were certainly better off then their old world brethren, but it was still a rough job with irregular income.  Factory work in the US often gave decent pay that was delivered on time for easier and less dangerous work.  We often forget that before tractors were common farm labor was really hard work not to mention dangerous.  I had a great aunt who was widowed 8 times due to farm accidents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 20, 2013, 07:12:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:58:05 PMStates have no rights.  Human beings have rights.  States are arbitrary lines one draws in the dirt.

Rights are a term of art more or less and just defined by law, so of course any legal entity can have rights. I guess you could argue they have "powers" which is a distinction without a difference. Most people way say States in the EU have specific rights in regard to their interactions with the greater Union, same as in the United States each State is entitled to two Senators to represent them for example.

Don't want to pick on you, but there is a difference.  Powers can be removed without due process.  Rights can not. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I was taught the difference between rights and powers was that powers are delegated and rights are inherent. Powers would then be delegated rights.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2013, 05:58:05 PM

States have no rights.  Human beings have rights.  States are arbitrary lines one draws in the dirt.
Rights are arbitrary too, so there's no reason a state couldn't have rights just as much as a person could.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2013, 07:36:06 PMI seriously question this.  There were more small land owners here then in Europe, and they were certainly better off then their old world brethren, but it was still a rough job with irregular income.  Factory work in the US often gave decent pay that was delivered on time for easier and less dangerous work.  We often forget that before tractors were common farm labor was really hard work not to mention dangerous.  I had a great aunt who was widowed 8 times due to farm accidents.

I'm not convinced a 19th century farm is more dangerous than a 19th century factory.

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2013, 07:41:51 PMDon't want to pick on you, but there is a difference.  Powers can be removed without due process.  Rights can not.

Says who?

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 20, 2013, 08:55:01 PM
I was taught the difference between rights and powers was that powers are delegated and rights are inherent. Powers would then be delegated rights.

No legal constructs like "rights" or "powers" are inherent.