News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Roger Waters an anti-Semite

Started by Josephus, December 14, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

My favourite rock star in the world has been accused of crass anti-Semitism of late. He has taken the lead in the  BDS movement against Israel (Boycott and Divestment Sanctions) and has become more and more outspoken. He argues, of course, that just because he criticizes Israeli handling of the Palestinians, does not make him an anti Semite. And I agree. But then he also says stuff like "some of my best friends are jews"  :glare:.   Lately though he says stuff just to cause shit. I mean comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is bound to be controversial. Still not anti semitic, though.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/14/pink-floyd-frontman-fury-israel-nazis
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

No, he's not an anti-semite.  He's a naive and foolish intellectual lightweight, but I don't think he's especially prejudiced against Jews.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

I thought he was trained not to spit on the fan.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on December 14, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
No, he's not an anti-semite.  He's a naive and foolish intellectual lightweight, but I don't think he's especially prejudiced against Jews.

Agreed.

Also cracks me up that his antagonists in the article say how awful he is for comparing the occupation of the West Bank to the Holocaust, when Roger made no such comparison.

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 08:04:27 PM
I thought he was trained not to spit on the fan.
I thought he was only a stranger at home
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

At his age, he's allowed to say anything he wants.  All the elderly do.

Siege

Anti-Semite. Whether consciously or not might be up for debate, but diffinitively anti-Semite.

When you blame an entire democratic society made of all kind of people of all ethnic, economic, social, and political spectrum, then you are an anti-Semite.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on December 15, 2013, 05:59:05 PM
Anti-Semite. Whether consciously or not might be up for debate, but diffinitively anti-Semite.

When you blame an entire democratic society made of all kind of people of all ethnic, economic, social, and political spectrum, then you are an anti-Semite.
I don't think you're able to effectively judge who is and isn't an anti-semite.  Besides, when a country does an evil thing, you're allowed to condemn that country, even if there are all sorts of people in that country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

This makes no sense Seeb.  Democratic societies get criticized all the time for their policy choices.  For example you think keeping Jonathan Pollard in prison is a bad decision.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on December 15, 2013, 06:01:57 PM

I don't think you're able to effectively judge who is and isn't an anti-semite.  Besides, when a country does an evil thing, you're allowed to condemn that country, even if there are all sorts of people in that country.

Traditionally the 3D test is used to distinguish "legitimate criticism" from anti-semitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Test_of_Antisemitism

however, a flying balloon of a pig with stars of david painted on it sort of cries to be identified as anti-semitic

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Is denial of the right of self-determination really anti-Semitic?  What if I don't believe in any ethnicity's right to self-determination?  If I think Scotland should be depopulated and recolonized by the Children of Josq in the event they attempt to leave the UK, does that make me anti-Semitic?  Seems like a reach.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2013, 07:17:26 PM
Is denial of the right of self-determination really anti-Semitic?  What if I don't believe in any ethnicity's right to self-determination?  If I think Scotland should be depopulated and recolonized by the Children of Josq in the event they attempt to leave the UK, does that make me anti-Semitic?  Seems like a reach.

Wilson's 14 points in general

but, specifically, Israel already exists, and in the case of this conflict those who are trying to deligitimize the state of israel are almost universally attmpting to replace it with a state asserting another people's right to self determination.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Are you suggesting Waters is trying to deligimitimize the state of Israel?  Seems to me he's only criticizing their policies towards Palestinians.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2013, 07:29:49 PM
Are you suggesting Waters is trying to deligimitimize the state of Israel?  Seems to me he's only criticizing their policies towards Palestinians.

Did I suggest that? I referred to the test and then suggested, independently of the test, that the flying j00 pig balloon might signify anti-semitism.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on December 15, 2013, 07:31:48 PM
Did I suggest that? I referred to the test and then suggested, independently of the test, that the flying j00 pig balloon might signify anti-semitism.

I was wondering who you were referring to when you said "those who are trying to deligitimize Israel."