Austria to appoint 27 year old foreign minister.

Started by Syt, December 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Caliga on December 13, 2013, 05:40:52 PM
Is it really important that Austria have an experienced foreign minister?  Does Austria like, do anything important from a foreign relations standpoint? :hmm:

They might not want somebody as experienced as Kurt Waldheim indeed.

Ideologue

Is it really important that Austria have an experienced foreign minister?  Does Austria like, do anything important from a foreign relations standpoint? :hmm:

Keeps Sweden from dominating central Europe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

We had a 27 year old tax minister. He lasted for about a year.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Phillip V

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2013, 01:43:22 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 13, 2013, 01:16:28 PM
Heh. You say that as if becoming a politician is something commendable.

Well, he does qualify for a minister's pension afterwards. :P So I'd say he's set for life.

What is yearly compensation and then pension benefits?

Admiral Yi

Bars transit to American troops during unpopular invasions of Middle Eastern countries.  :)

Scipio

Well, he's no Metternich.

Come on. We were all thinking it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Quote from: Phillip V on December 13, 2013, 06:26:13 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2013, 01:43:22 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 13, 2013, 01:16:28 PM
Heh. You say that as if becoming a politician is something commendable.

Well, he does qualify for a minister's pension afterwards. :P So I'd say he's set for life.

What is yearly compensation and then pension benefits?

Currently €16,000 x 14 as salary. Pension will depend on how long he's in office. But 4 years guarantees him 50% once he's 65 (which, admittedly is a long time away), and can reach 80% after 15 or 20 years, IIRC. He already has three years as state secretary. Let's say he does the full 20 years. At that time he'll be 44 ... enough time to get a cushy job through political friends (not unusual in Austria's tightly knit network of politics and business) for the next 20 years till retirement.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. He will probably get to hobnob with all the international organizations in Vienna, though (OPEC, IAEA, OSCE, other UN agencies etc.).

I will say in his favor that he had a decent stint as State Secretary for Integration. He had pretty realistic views (not too extreme to either left - "all's peachy" or right - "the immigrants destroy Austria") and a very common sense approach to things.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

The way you post vernacular English gives me a boner Syt.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM
Austria's new foreign minister is this strapping young 27 year old:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kurz

QuoteSebastian Kurz (born 27 August 1986) is an Austrian politician and currently the Secretary of State for Integration. He is a member of the Austrian People's Party (ÖVP). On December 12th 2013, he was designated as the new Minister for Integration, Europe and International Affairs of Austria.

Kurz was born in Vienna and brought up in the city district of Meidling, where he is still living. He entered the Bundesgymnasium und Bundesrealgymnasium Erlgasse in 1996 and after his final exam in 2004 Kurz completed the obligatory military service. In 2009 he was elected chairman of the youth branch of the Austrian People's Party. Between 2010 and 2011 he was member of Vienna's city council. In April 2011 Kurz was appointed to the newly created post of State Secretary for Integration (which is part of the Ministry for Internal Affairs. At Austria's general election in 2013 he was elected member of parliament.

So he's already been part of the previous government for 3 years. He will be the youngest foreign minister in the EU.

Where were you when you were 27? :P

I was in Germany, working a job I didn't care for and pondering whether to move to Austria to live my dream of being a writer.

:o TEH ANTI-CHRIST

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on December 13, 2013, 06:48:53 PM
Well, he's no Metternich.

Come on. We were all thinking it.

Well he might be.  He is about half the Prince's age coming into office.

How strange that the Habsburg Monarchy did a better job at vetting their foreign ministers.  Granted it was actually an important job back then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2013, 04:02:26 AM
What? :unsure:

I was trying to express my admiration for your idiomatic English.  Perhaps I did not express that sentiment previously with my habitual laser sharp precision.