Austria to appoint 27 year old foreign minister.

Started by Syt, December 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Austria's new foreign minister is this strapping young 27 year old:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kurz

QuoteSebastian Kurz (born 27 August 1986) is an Austrian politician and currently the Secretary of State for Integration. He is a member of the Austrian People's Party (ÖVP). On December 12th 2013, he was designated as the new Minister for Integration, Europe and International Affairs of Austria.

Kurz was born in Vienna and brought up in the city district of Meidling, where he is still living. He entered the Bundesgymnasium und Bundesrealgymnasium Erlgasse in 1996 and after his final exam in 2004 Kurz completed the obligatory military service. In 2009 he was elected chairman of the youth branch of the Austrian People's Party. Between 2010 and 2011 he was member of Vienna's city council. In April 2011 Kurz was appointed to the newly created post of State Secretary for Integration (which is part of the Ministry for Internal Affairs. At Austria's general election in 2013 he was elected member of parliament.

So he's already been part of the previous government for 3 years. He will be the youngest foreign minister in the EU.

Where were you when you were 27? :P

I was in Germany, working a job I didn't care for and pondering whether to move to Austria to live my dream of being a writer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Syt

No idea, but his birth district of Meidling is generally a blue collar to middle class area in Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM

Heh. You say that as if becoming a politician is something commendable.

I'd be more impressed if he worked as an ER nurse.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on December 13, 2013, 01:16:28 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2013, 12:52:46 PM

I'd be more impressed if he worked as an ER nurse.

:unsure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHwURR7-BKI

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

When I was 27 I also held high position in imaginary countries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

This is the kind of wackiness you get when political success is determined by climbing the party ladder.

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on December 13, 2013, 01:16:28 PM

Well, he does qualify for a minister's pension afterwards. :P So I'd say he's set for life.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2013, 01:35:10 PM
This is the kind of wackiness you get when political success is determined by climbing the party ladder.

Agreed.  It is one of the reasons I have been suspicious of proportionate voting schemes.

Ideologue

Shia LeBouf got a new job, and still everyone bitches about him.  The man has the right to live, okay?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Is it really important that Austria have an experienced foreign minister?  Does Austria like, do anything important from a foreign relations standpoint? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points