Sports infrastructures and public funding?

Started by viper37, December 12, 2013, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should public funding be used for professional sports?

I think it's a great idea, sports teams offers value to any city
4 (16%)
Yes, but only for infrastructures (racetrack, stadium, arena, etc)
9 (36%)
No, under no circumstances
10 (40%)
I have no opinion
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 11, 2014, 02:30:40 PM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 12, 2013, 04:44:15 PM
They are a finite good in part because of exemptions from antitrust/competition rules that might otherwise apply.

I don't understand the connection.  Please explain.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 04:54:12 PM
They are a finite good in part because of exemptions from antitrust/competition rules that might otherwise apply.

I don't understand the connection.  Please explain.

Otherwise there would be open entry for anyone with enough $$ to sign major league level talent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2013, 03:59:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2013, 03:29:57 PM
I don't like it, but it's the way things are these days. 
what you mean is that your Republican principles will go away to fund something you happen to like? :)

That doesn't contradict his Republican principles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2013, 03:59:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2013, 03:29:57 PM
I don't like it, but it's the way things are these days. 
what you mean is that your Republican principles will go away to fund something you happen to like? :)

Not really.  It's just something cities or counties have to do in order to stay competitive these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 12, 2013, 04:58:43 PM
Otherwise there would be open entry for anyone with enough $$ to sign major league level talent.

And there have been competing football leagues and there are minor league basketball leagues. 

Neil

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 12, 2013, 03:35:03 PM
I support it as long as the public funding body or bodies retain ownership interest in the facility.
I think that's pretty reasonable.  The idea that the public should just pay for a facility and then give it as a gift to a billionaire is unappealing to me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
Professional sports franchises are a finite good. 

Would antitrust law require NFL teams to play teams from other football leagues, provided that it wasn't waived?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on December 12, 2013, 05:36:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
Professional sports franchises are a finite good. 

Would antitrust law require NFL teams to play teams from other football leagues, provided that it wasn't waived?

No, it would require the NFL to pay each such league $1.

FWIW, I'm in general agreement with you and OvB on this.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2013, 03:28:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2013, 02:35:23 PM
Public funding of professional sports facilities doesnt make sense.  Public funding of public sports facilities makes a lot of sense.
I also might be enclined to agree that a basketball court has its use in some places.

:D

Josquius

Can't they do a cost-benefit-analaysis as with other big projects?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2013, 08:43:49 PM

How do you quantify civic pride due to being the home of a franchise?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 08:44:59 PM

By paying a consultant a half-million dollars to make something up.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 08:44:59 PM

However important the city thinks it is. +0.1 or some such.
Though far more important I would hope is practical money matters.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

So you want them to do a cost/benefit, and for the benefit they put in however much they want.  :hmm:

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 08:50:41 PM
So you want them to do a cost/benefit, and for the benefit they put in however much they want.  :hmm:
I'm not a civil servant. I have no idea how important they think it is. They would have ways of justifying a number however.
██████
██████
██████