News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In London after Christmas, maybe

Started by Pedrito, December 12, 2013, 04:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Ah, right, Easter is one of the insanely few public holidays in the UK, so I imagine crowds will be massive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Pedrito on February 19, 2014, 06:00:35 AM

- Hamleys...

My kids had a blast in Hamleys back in the day.  It will take you longer to drag them out than you thought it would.

Brazen

Quote from: Tamas on February 19, 2014, 12:57:50 PM
Ah, right, Easter is one of the insanely few public holidays in the UK, so I imagine crowds will be massive.
Yes, the attractions and Hamleys will be insanely busy.

It's the half term holiday for schoolchildren this week and I just filmed a piece at the Science Museum. It opened to the public just as we finished and I was nearly washed away by a tidal wave of a bazillion knee-high people. It took me twice as long to get to the tube station platform, and for a while none of the trains were stopping to allow the platform and ticket hall to clear.

I recommend booking into one of the Science Museum flight simulators if your kids like planes. The Typhoon one had us squealing with delight like nine-year-olds!

You have my sympathy, parents.

Pedrito

The plan is coming together.

I found and booked an apartment in Earls Court,
decided not to buy the London City Pass (the only included attractions we want to visit are the Tower of London and Westminster),
fainted at the prices for the Lion King musical and decided to pass this too.

Developments to come.

L.

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

Valmy

Man this whole board is being over-run by Panzer Ponies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

The prices of Lion King will be extortionate because it's holiday season.

But. It is AMAZING :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Pedrito

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2014, 11:09:12 AM

No doubt about it, but for a family of 5 it would be 440 GBP, i.e. almost all what I've budgeted for beer. The decision is already taken  :beer:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on April 02, 2014, 11:48:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2014, 11:09:12 AM

No doubt about it, but for a family of 5 it would be 440 GBP, i.e. almost all what I've budgeted for beer. The decision is already taken  :beer:

L.

Man with his priorities sorted. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Pedrito on April 02, 2014, 09:36:16 AM
The plan is coming together.

I found and booked an apartment in Earls Court,
decided not to buy the London City Pass (the only included attractions we want to visit are the Tower of London and Westminster),
fainted at the prices for the Lion King musical and decided to pass this too.

Developments to come.

L.

I'd really cut your itinerary of big ticket attractions down to just one a day and take some time to just wonder around a few neighbourhoods (I recommend Greenwich, Spitalfields, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury but there are plenty more).

Admiral Yi

Go to a big traffic circle and do the "the Queen is a man" scene from American Werewolf in London until a Bobbie tells you to move along.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2014, 12:30:33 PM
Go to a big traffic circle and do the "the Queen is a man" scene from American Werewolf in London until a Bobbie tells you to move along.

Better yet, rent a car, for to a big traffic circle, and drive around loop after loop saying "Look kids, Big Ben! Parliament!" each time until they slug you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

I always recommend the riverboat service to tourists visiting London. You can pick it up at various points, I usually start at Westminster pier, and go downstream to Greenwich or upstream to Kew gardens. You get to see a lot of London from the river and get to rest your feet, fills in a few relaxing hours in a long hard day of tourism  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2014, 01:21:49 PM
I always recommend the riverboat service to tourists visiting London. You can pick it up at various points, I usually start at Westminster pier, and go downstream to Greenwich or upstream to Kew gardens. You get to see a lot of London from the river and get to rest your feet, fills in a few relaxing hours in a long hard day of tourism  :cool:

+1

The Thames is a good avenue from which to view London.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"