News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In London after Christmas, maybe

Started by Pedrito, December 12, 2013, 04:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Very posh and convenient area.  There are several hospitals within a few miles.

Brazen

Quote from: The Brain on December 12, 2013, 12:18:24 PM
Is the London Dungeon still around? For the kids.
Yes, but it's moved - it's now on South Bank next to the London eye. Buy timeslot tickets in advance to avoid the queues.

Brazen

Quote from: Pedrito on December 13, 2013, 02:43:47 AM
Restaurants, pubs, Tescos in the area?
Don't know about Tescos, but there's Harrods, which is the posh people's Tescos!

Sheilbh

For food maybe Hawksmoor Sunday roast? If you're on Brick Lane I've heard really good things about Chez Elles.

How old are the kids? Maybe try and get tickets at one of the outdoor rinks?
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, if your wife enjoys shopping then she should be let loose in Harrod's, apparently it is a paradise if you like that sort of thing.

Gups

I have a bunch of Spanish/Danish in-laws coming over between Xmas and NY. I've taken on responsibility for one day of their intinery

Will be taking them for breakfast at the Shard (Aquashard) followed by a wonder around Borough market, the river bus to Greenwich, lunch at the market  then we split into some going to the Maritime museum with the missus and the less-informed being inflicted with Charlton v Sheffield Wednesday at the Valley.

It'll probably piss it down all day

Pedrito

Quote from: Pedrito on December 12, 2013, 04:01:52 AM
After a really shitty year at work,

...because the shitty year is getting even shittier right at the end, my trip to London is postponed indefinitely.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

It's for the best. If you can visit the IWM, it's not worth the trouble.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Pedrito on December 13, 2013, 09:14:57 AM
...because the shitty year is getting even shittier right at the end, my trip to London is postponed indefinitely.

L.
:console:

Call in sick?

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2013, 09:17:34 AM
It's for the best. If you can visit the IWM, it's not worth the trouble.
It's still open, just not the good bits. It closes for 6 month in January though:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london/directions

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on December 13, 2013, 09:14:57 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on December 12, 2013, 04:01:52 AM
After a really shitty year at work,

L.

:( :console:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

OH YES.

I decided I don't give a fuck about my job schedule and I booked a flight to London for the whole family, from april 16th to 21st  :showoff: :bowler:

It will be during the Easter holidays, because I will make a mess with the job but my wife doesn't want the kids to skip too many school days, so the city will be overcrowded and expensive as hell  <_<

Mandatory visits (more to be added):
- Tower of London
- British Museum
- Natural History and maybe Science Museum, complete with Imax show
- One or two of Tate, Tate Modern, National Gallery, V&A, depending of the whining level
- Rainforest Cafe ( <_<)
- London Eye and maybe river cruise
- Westminster Abbey & Big Ben
- Harrods and Fortnum & Mason (for the lady)
- Hamleys...

I assume the museums will be surely open on Easter and Easter Monday, can the same be said about major attractions and stores?
Are there regulations about minors entering pubs? Just in case some fellow languishite wants to catch up with a family of noisy italians and have a pint  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

Fabulous news!  :) :bowler:

Pubs that serve food generally allow kids in.

And while Harrods is best for browsing (and getting free samples) Selfridges is a better luxury store to actually shop in. I'm filming at the Science Museum tomorrow so I'll check out the latest exhibits there.

Happy to join La Familia Pedrito as your agenda allows. A South Bank death walk day incorporating much of your to-do list might make a good one for Languishites.

Sheilbh

I'm not sure the museums will be open on Easter, maybe worth checking. The Abbey and St Paul's will though :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 19, 2014, 11:15:42 AM
I'm not sure the museums will be open on Easter, maybe worth checking. The Abbey and St Paul's will though :P
:lol:

The museums are open over Easter (most only shut 24-26 December), school holidays are when they do their most business.