And we're back!

Main Menu

Discounts for polite people

Started by Sheilbh, December 11, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2013, 06:10:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2013, 05:49:52 PM
So when you are begging a beautiful woman to have sex with you what do you say?  Or do you just promise perks in the future?

Begging doesn't seem to work in those circumstances, anyway.

I like to go with - "Please, sir, can I have some more?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on December 11, 2013, 06:31:40 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 11, 2013, 05:56:37 PM
Parabéns. :porkchop:  :)

Or maybe not...  :hmm:
(Se) faz favor (spelled right)

Fixed it for you.

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 06:12:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 05:55:34 PM
Hindi does.

What is the etymology of the Hindi equivalent?

I just looked and appears to stem from Sanskrit. Potentially originally rooted in word for pity/compassion.

So it's an Indo-european thing?

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on December 12, 2013, 12:52:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 06:12:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 05:55:34 PM
Hindi does.

What is the etymology of the Hindi equivalent?

I just looked and appears to stem from Sanskrit. Potentially originally rooted in word for pity/compassion.

Quick search turned up Yoruba having a word as well...though I've no idea how I'd look up its provenance. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It always disturbs me to hear people just say the item they want and miss off please, even though it apparently isn't the done thing in Japan to say please to shop workers.
I also always feel iffy when they shout welcome as I enter and there is nothing I can reply.
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 05:46:43 PM
Bitte, S.V.P., Пожалуйста, Por favor. All other languages I know has it... but that is a rather eurocentric list.

I know Korean and Japanese don't.  I'm pretty sure Chinese doesn't.

Mandarin Chinese does - it is qing 请.  However, it is more common when ordering food or whatever not to use it.  And their equivalent of "thank you" (xiexie 谢谢) is definitely used way less frequently than in English.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2013, 01:17:52 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 12, 2013, 12:52:35 AM

Except the Norse.
The Swedes might have it, at least I remember them using 'snälla' quite a lot.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

The only Swedish I know, taught by Johan, is "Ska vi knülla?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

My kids were taught to say, "Please, may I have..." when ordering, even at McDonald's. It's amazing the looks they get from other customers (and their friends) when they continue doing so as adults, but most of the clerks seem pleased and usually give them better service.

It doesn't hurt to use curtesy, and it could make someone else's day better, so why not do so whenever you can?

I do find it interesting that there are languages that don't have equivalent words for "please" and "thank you". Just not something that I've ever considered, but it makes sense. Curtesy has different meanings in different cultures.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Camerus on December 12, 2013, 02:02:03 AM

Mandarin Chinese does - it is qing 请.  However, it is more common when ordering food or whatever not to use it.  And their equivalent of "thank you" (xiexie 谢谢) is definitely used way less frequently than in English.

A friend of mine uses "xiexie" whenever we go to a Chinese restaurant, but the servers always seem annoyed when he does. I don't know if he's saying it wrong or in the wrong context, but they never seem happy or impressed, rather just irritated by him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 05:54:04 PM

I know Korean and Japanese don't.  I'm pretty sure Chinese doesn't.
What about "domo arigato" (Mister Roboto)?

I actually always wondered whether arigato derives from the Portuguese obrigado :hmm:

Capetan Mihali

"I'm gonna get the..."/"I'm gonna do the..." in restaurants seems to be a particularly American thing.  I think I recall Sheilbh reacting :bleeding: to it. :D  It's not really rude in context, more in the vein of our general over-colloquial waiter/patron relationship (see: first names of waitstaff), but still a little grating.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)