News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Discounts for polite people

Started by Sheilbh, December 11, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Don't think its big in Arab speaking nations either.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2013, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
French cafe offering discounts to polite people?  They sure ain't losing much...

It's funny cuz you're from Quebec.  :cool:
Different culture :)  Americans and British are different, despiste the same language.  Same for Australians and Canadians.

You know that Australians aren't real, right?  They're fantasy creatures, like Orcs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2013, 05:10:54 PM
French cafe offering discounts to polite people?  They sure ain't losing much...

Different culture :)  Americans and British are different, despiste the same language.  Same for Australians and Canadians.

You know that Australians aren't real, right?  They're fantasy creatures, like Orcs.

And elves, hobbits and dwarves.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 11, 2013, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2013, 05:10:54 PM

And elves, hobbits and dwarves.

Those are Kiwis, not Aussies. 

mongers

Quote from: Viking on December 11, 2013, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 10:03:47 AM
Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 09:59:24 AM
Excellent. I notice more and more people just stating the item they want, be it at café or in a bakery. We might not have a word for 'please', but a simple 'hi', a smile or a thank you would suffice.

You don't have an equivalent of "bitte"?  :huh:

Vikings just take what they want.  :ph34r:

actually.. both norway and iceland have a distinct lack of the use of "please" and "excuse me" equivalents.

What a fucking surprise.  <_<

edit:
Guess I'm not gonna get the 10% discount at the coffee shop.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

actually.. both norway and iceland have a distinct lack of the use of "please" and "excuse me" equivalents.

My first thought was that's bizarre, but upon reflection, a please equivalent is kind of a linguistic rarity, isn't it?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 05:41:01 PM

My first thought was that's bizarre, but upon reflection, a please equivalent is kind of a linguistic rarity, isn't it?
Bitte, S.V.P., Пожалуйста, Por favor. All other languages I know has it... but that is a rather eurocentric list.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

So when you are begging a beautiful woman to have sex with you what do you say?  Or do you just promise perks in the future?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 05:46:43 PM
Bitte, S.V.P., Пожалуйста, Por favor. All other languages I know has it... but that is a rather eurocentric list.

I know Korean and Japanese don't.  I'm pretty sure Chinese doesn't.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 05:46:43 PM

I know Korean and Japanese don't.  I'm pretty sure Chinese doesn't.

Hindi does.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Parabens. :eggplant:  :)

Or maybe not...  :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2013, 05:49:52 PM
So when you are begging a beautiful woman to have sex with you what do you say?  Or do you just promise perks in the future?

Begging doesn't seem to work in those circumstances, anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2013, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 05:55:34 PM
Hindi does.

What is the etymology of the Hindi equivalent?

I just looked and appears to stem from Sanskrit. Potentially originally rooted in word for pity/compassion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2013, 05:49:52 PM

We have adopted your language's exceptional begging qualities, so we would say: "Please! Bare med spidsen."
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk