And we're back!

Main Menu

Discounts for polite people

Started by Sheilbh, December 11, 2013, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think this should be done everywhere :contract:
QuoteFrench cafe offers discounts to polite customers
Sign outside Côte d'Azur establishment lists price of coffee as €7 (£4.20) but 'Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît' costs only €1.40
Kim Willsher in Paris
theguardian.com, Wednesday 11 December 2013 13.28 GMT

The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice. Photograph: NiceMatin Resistance via Twitter

A cafe on the French Riviera has gained international notoriety after reminding customers to mind their manners.

What started as a local joke generated an internet buzz this week after a diner tweeted the sign outside the Petite Syrah in Nice on the Côte d'Azur.

In an attempt to turn the tables on customers who complain that serving staff are rude, the manager warned he would hit impolite customers where it hurts, in the pocket.

A sign outside the establishment warns:

"Un café - €7

Un café s'il vous plaît - €4.25

Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît - €1.40."

The appeal for some old-fashioned savoir-vivre clearly touched a nerve around the world. Within hours, the story went viral on Twitter.

Former centre-right government minister Christine Boutin, responded, also by Twitter, that it was an excellent idea, and the story in the local Nice-Matin newspaper received tens of thousands of "likes".

Manager Fabrice Pepino told the paper he had even had television cameras turn up to film the sign.

"We live in a strange old world. For three years we have put all our passion into what we do, which is trying to offer quality food, and good wines ... and it's this that creates the buzz. A few words on a blackboard," he said.

He added: "It wasn't even an original idea. I saw it on the internet and liked it ... but I was planning to rub it out."

Pepino said he had not yet had to enforce the politeness policy, and admitted the sign was more of a gentle reminder than a serious threat.

"It started as a joke because at lunchtime people would come in very stressed and were sometimes rude to us when they ordered a coffee," Pepino told the English language website the Local.

"It's our way of saying: 'Keep calm and carry on.'"

He added: "Most of my customers are regulars and they just see the funny side and exaggerate their politeness.

"But people are more relaxed now, and they're smiling more. That's the most important thing."
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

I like it, but I often find myself being more polite than the person serving me, and it gets annoying after a while.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Excellent. I notice more and more people just stating the item they want, be it at café or in a bakery. We might not have a word for 'please', but a simple 'hi', a smile or a thank you would suffice.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2013, 09:59:24 AM
Excellent. I notice more and more people just stating the item they want, be it at café or in a bakery. We might not have a word for 'please', but a simple 'hi', a smile or a thank you would suffice.

You don't have an equivalent of "bitte"?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

French cafe offering discounts to polite people?  They sure ain't losing much...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
French cafe offering discounts to polite people?  They sure ain't losing much...

It's funny cuz you're from Quebec.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

"Coffee, please"............7000 €
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2013, 11:08:24 AM

It is? French people are assholes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2013, 11:08:24 AM

Different culture :)  Americans and British are different, despiste the same language.  Same for Australians and Canadians.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 10:03:47 AM

Vikings just take what they want.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2013, 10:03:47 AM

Vikings just take what they want.  :ph34r:

actually.. both norway and iceland have a distinct lack of the use of "please" and "excuse me" equivalents.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.