2 (3.6%)
I'm Canadian, Vote No
10 (17.9%)
I'm Neither, Fuck This Poll
12 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2013, 05:35:15 PM
Too simple a way to look at political parties - as just their ideologies.

There have been plenty of political parties that have had very long runs as the governing party, and not due to plain old electoral fraud.

ANC has been ruling South Africa for 20+ years now.  The LDP ruled Japan for 40+ years.  Congress ruled India for decades.

And of course, in Alberta, we're at 40+ years of PC rule.
Yep. Historically the Social Democrats in Sweden have dominated too. Not to mention Fianna Fail which has been in power for 60 of the 80 years of the Irish State. Even after being trounced after the financial crash they're coming back and they've got literally no ideology :lol:

I'm with Jos. The cultural differences between the US and the UK are far larger than between the UK and sort-of North-West Europe. It's a bit different with Australia and New Zealand. What he says about the UK and Japan rings true too. I think there's  probably a lot of fundamental similarities between the Japanese and the English - excessive politeness, personal space, status, gardens, suspicion of overdevelopment - which are to do with us both living on crowded islands. And lots of relatively superficial differences.

I think that may change. Demographically the UK is becoming more American (and Canadian/Aussie/Kiwi) and less European, which may change things.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2013, 07:10:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2013, 07:09:39 PM
Largest turnout for a vote in a while.  :hmm:

All the Canucklehead lurkers showed up to vote no.  :lol:

According to the poll, it'll require military force to subordinate ourselves to Ottawa.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on December 09, 2013, 08:40:55 PM
According to the poll, it'll require military force to subordinate ourselves to Ottawa.

:lol:

Your next review should be on The Mouse That Roared

Ideologue

How about The Great Mouse Detective?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2013, 07:14:08 PM
You sure about that, 1/5 votes seems consistent with their presence in the rest of the forum.
Shouldn't they only be 1/10th of the American vote though?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2013, 11:44:34 PM
You sure about that, 1/5 votes seems consistent with their presence in the rest of the forum.

Canadians are overrepresented on Languish. :alberta:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2013, 11:53:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2013, 11:44:34 PM

Canadians are overrepresented on Languish. :alberta:

And in most other things requiring intelligence.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2013, 12:34:22 AM
And in most other things requiring intelligence.

There are at least two questionable assumptions in this statement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2013, 06:46:52 PM
Indeed.  As you note, the Canadian Forces have essentially reverted back to separate armed services, with their own commanders, training establishments, personnel, uniforms, etc.   They retain the unified command. In other words, they have evolved back to what the US has had since shortly after WW2.
There never was a unified training establishments and personnel.  They may have have basic training together, but francophones sailors sure were sent to the Maritime Institute of Rimouski for training, not the Royal Military College of St-Jean.

About the command structure, from Wikipedia:
"The current iteration of the Canadian Forces dates from 1 February 1968,[16] when the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and Royal Canadian Air Force were merged into a unified structure and superseded by elemental commands."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces#Since_unification

It seems to me more efficient, for a small army at least.  Have really no clue on how it works in other countries.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

An independent air force is pretty important.  Otherwise the Army will just try to turn its funding to useless nonsense, like close air support, or logistics.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 01:17:34 AM
An independent air force is pretty important.  Otherwise the Army will just try to turn its funding to useless nonsense, like close air support, or logistics.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

By independent you mean belonging to the Navy, right? You are, of crouse, right about the Army.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."