The First Chapter in the Russo-Canadian War has Begun

Started by Savonarola, December 10, 2013, 04:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Gathering of the Storm:

QuoteCanada lays claim to North Pole and resource-rich Arctic

Canada intends to lay claim to the North Pole as part of a bid to assert control over a large part of the resource-rich Arctic, Foreign Minister John Baird announced Monday, a move that has raised tensions with Russia, which also claims the territory.

Baird said Canada had filed a preliminary submission to a special United Nations commission collecting competing claims and would be submitting more data later.

"Obtaining international recognition for the outer limits of our continental shelf ... will be vital to the future development of Canada's offshore resources," said Baird.

"Canada is going to fight to assert its sovereignty in the north but I think we will be good neighbors in doing so."

Baird said Canada needed more time to file a final submission to the U.N. commission because it had not yet fully mapped the area around the ridge.

The claim has raised tensions with Russia — which looks set to lay claim to the North Pole because it is on a continental shelf it controls.

After Baird's announcement, President Vladimir Putin ordered Russia's military to step up its presence in the Arctic.

Canada, Russia, Denmark, Norway and the United States each want to control as much as they can of a region the U.S. Geological Survey says contains 30 percent of the world's undiscovered natural gas and 15 percent of the oil.

Putin told an expanded defense ministry meeting that Russia's national interests and security rested upon bolstering its presence in the Arctic after a brief post-Soviet retreat.

"I would like you to devote special attention to deploying infrastructure and military units in the Arctic," the Kremlin chief said in televised remarks.

Russia has an overlapping claim to both the North Pole as well as large parts of the Arctic. Indeed, a government-sponsored diving team in 2007 planted a Russian flag under the North Pole.

Putin said Tuesday that "next year, we have to complete the formation of new large units and military divisions" in the Arctic that remain on constant combat alert.

Russia, Canada and Denmark each say an underwater mountain range known as the Lomonosov Ridge, which stretches 1,120 miles across the pole under the Arctic Sea, is part of their own landmass.

Stephen Harper:  I could wrestle a bear if I wanted to; I just don't want to.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Maybe we'll see what happens when two countries without functioning militaries try to go to war with each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

WTF, we bought the North Pole from Russia in the 1860s.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2013, 04:47:10 PM
Maybe we'll see what happens when two countries without functioning militaries try to go to war with each other.

I dont think there is any suggestion Denmark and Norway are going to fight it out.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

"Russia, Canada and Denmark each say an underwater mountain range known as the Lomonosov Ridge, which stretches 1,120 miles across the pole under the Arctic Sea, is part of their own landmass."

How is that remotely relevant to who "owns" the north pole?

It is basically ocean covered with ice. The geography of the sea floor underneath said ice - what does that have to do with anything?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Canadians better come up with their own name for that ridge ASAP, to strengthen their claim.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 04:58:23 PM
"Russia, Canada and Denmark each say an underwater mountain range known as the Lomonosov Ridge, which stretches 1,120 miles across the pole under the Arctic Sea, is part of their own landmass."

It is basically ocean covered with ice. The geography of the sea floor underneath said ice - what does that have to do with anything?

It has to do with the UN "Law of the Sea" convention, which gives a mechanism for how nations can control resources that are part of their own continental shelf, or some such thing.

I'm not an expert, but it does matter under the new convention.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 04:58:23 PM

It is very significant.   Under the Law of the Sea convention a coastal nation can extend their territorial waters beyond their 200 mile boundary if they can establish that their continental shelf extends beyond.  That is what each country is claiming here.

Admiral Yi