Applebees and Chili's replacing waiters with Tablet PCs

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2013, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I wont willingly shop at a store that requires me to do self check out or bag my own groceries.  I dont mind if they give the option to others that feel the need to do the work themselves.  They can subsidize my full service all they want.

Korea

Quoteblah blah
I don't recall that. In fact, until recently, there was one near me that had no self checkout and 3 cashier spots. It has since closed...and was actually the worst as the cashiers were so so so slow.

Local shop Duane Reade, without self checkout usually has up to 6 cashiers (though typically about 3 on the registers at any time).

They're built with three registers but the hours almost always allow for one cashier on duty at a time. Do you live in California?
I want my mother fucking points!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2013, 06:55:40 PM
I wont willingly shop at a store that requires me to do self check out or bag my own groceries.  I dont mind if they give the option to others that feel the need to do the work themselves.  They can subsidize my full service all they want.

Time is money, friend.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Too good to bag your own shit, eh Lord FitzHugh?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

That's true. In the city there are two drugstores near each other in Chelsea. I always opt for the non-CVS one as it doesn't require me to play amateur cashier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Korea on December 10, 2013, 06:56:59 PM
Quoteblah blah
I don't recall that. In fact, until recently, there was one near me that had no self checkout and 3 cashier spots. It has since closed...and was actually the worst as the cashiers were so so so slow.

Local shop Duane Reade, without self checkout usually has up to 6 cashiers (though typically about 3 on the registers at any time).

They're built with three registers but the hours almost always allow for one cashier on duty at a time. Do you live in California?

Nah, I'm in New York now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 10, 2013, 06:59:31 PM

Time is money, friend.

And people can ring up my bill and bag my groceries a lot faster and efficiently then I can.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 10, 2013, 06:59:40 PM

Too good to bag your own shit, eh Lord FitzHugh?

I dont even examine it. :P

Tonitrus

While I almost exclusively use self-checkout, it never really seems to be a time-saver.  More often than not, they are filled up by people who should never use it:

- Moms with 3+ kids in tow and willfully ignoring the item limits
- People buying lots of produce (that has to be weighed by the machine, often fails, and they call on the one person monitoring 8 machines)
- Paying cash, and always confused over how to slide the bills in
- Old people/grumbler

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 10, 2013, 07:51:56 PM
Pushy young people. Get off mah checkout.

You probably block entire aisles in your hoveround and attending cohort of children too.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2013, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 10, 2013, 07:51:56 PM
Pushy young people. Get off mah checkout.

You probably block entire aisles in your hoveround and attending cohort of children too.  :mad:

And train of wives.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 10, 2013, 07:05:17 PM
And people can ring up my bill and bag my groceries a lot faster and efficiently then I can.

Sure. But there's often customers ahead of you that they have to bag as well.

I'll always take the open cashier over the do-it-yourself register, but I'd rather not wait while they're scanning the woman ahead of me with a cart filled to the brim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I would use the self-service register more often if that automated cunt's voice actually gave me the time to place my items in the bag by giving me more than 1.4 seconds to do it before she tells me to do it again.

Admiral Yi